to build a keeper team around - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

to build a keeper team around

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

to build a keeper team around

Postby WyldStallyn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 am

for those of you in keeper leagues, who have you built your teams around? do you feel it is important to have top players at certain positions, or is it all about the numbers? i like having elite players at weaker positions, like utley and hanley.

and a personal question, peavy or webb in a keeper?
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: to build a keeper team around

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:18 pm

I always go with the best players regardless of position. Look at 2B this year which was supposed to be a very thin position.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby anti elian » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:22 pm

I'd take Webb in a keeper. I think Peavy is the better pitcher, but in a keeper I want Webb's durability.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:05 pm

I WOULD STILL LIKE TO SEE SOME LISTS FOR KEEPERS. I KNOW THERE WAS A TOP 25 THREAD A WHILE BACK BUT IT WAS HIJACKED BY KEVIN YOUKLIS FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON AND THERE WAS VERY LITTLE QUALITY LISTING AND DISCUSSION ON THE TOP 10-30 KEEPERS. Ill be putting up some thoughts soon but wanted to see some others lists as well.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:19 pm

The way I look at it, if Im starting a new league, it to take my player rankings, then immediately eliminate everyone over 30. Yeah, player can be relevant past there, but let other guys overpay for Furcal and Ortiz while you can get Kinsler and Tex around the same place and have growth potential.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Hanley
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Unless it's a dynasty league where you keep virtually everyone, I think people tend to overadjust at the draft for keepers. Win this year and then keep your best players. Because you can have, "great keeper picks" like Weeks completely flare out on you while the old codgers like Chipper bring home the bacon.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:The way I look at it, if Im starting a new league, it to take my player rankings, then immediately eliminate everyone over 30. Yeah, player can be relevant past there, but let other guys overpay for Furcal and Ortiz while you can get Kinsler and Tex around the same place and have growth potential.

I like the three-year rule of thumb. In keeper formats it's easy to fall in love with youth and I think a lot of bad decisions get made because of it. It's tough enough to predict any individual player from year to year let alone ten years out. And if you lock yourself into avoiding the thirty-somethings, I think you miss a lot of the 2nd and 3rd round value that is amazingly always there in inaugural keeper drafts.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Russell James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I am currently 1st place in the keeper league that I participate in. We are allowed to keep 12. Barring any trades this is probably my list of keepers.

Manny Ramirez
Michael Young
Ichiro
Corey Hart
Pedroia
Youkilis
Lincecum
Volquez
Halladay
Wainwright
Shields
Buchholz

I like to have great pitching and I don't really care about age, although I did end up with many young pitchers.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WyldStallyn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:34 pm

i can keep 5 in my league. right now my keepers would be hanley, utley, sizemore, webb, peavy. i would like to move one of the 2 SP for an rbi hitter, hence my question in my OP. but i have so far been unsuccessful.

if i could choose any players for keepers, it would probably be hanley, wright, utley, pujols, holliday or braun. scared about holliday being traded, but not as much as i am by brauns low bb numbers. not a comprehensive list like rjforlife would like, but its all i have time for now
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers