making a trade: player in DL spot, no longer on DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

making a trade: player in DL spot, no longer on DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

making a trade: player in DL spot, no longer on DL

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:36 am

ive had Ryan Doumit on the DL. he is now no longer on the DL, but i have not activated him yet so he is still in my DL spot. i proposed a 2 for 2 trade yesturday while Doumit was still on the DL and it has yet to be accepted/rejected. since Doumit is no longer on the DL do i have to drop someone before the trade can even be accepted? or can this trade be accepted/put through without yet activating Doumit?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: making a trade: player in DL spot, no longer on DL

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:17 am

SpecialFNK wrote:ive had Ryan Doumit on the DL. he is now no longer on the DL, but i have not activated him yet so he is still in my DL spot. i proposed a 2 for 2 trade yesturday while Doumit was still on the DL and it has yet to be accepted/rejected. since Doumit is no longer on the DL do i have to drop someone before the trade can even be accepted? or can this trade be accepted/put through without yet activating Doumit?

It can be accepted, but you need to get Doumit out of that DL slot and drop a player before the trade can be processed. If the trade goes to process and Doumit is still in your DL slot, you will get a roster error and the trade will be disallowed.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:18 am

yeah, what bigh0rt said...i've ran into this before in previous seasons.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:09 am

Assuming you are talking about Yahoo, I believe this is inaccurate. I don't think this is how things work, and from eyeballing the code I see no sign that the trade processing code checks to see if any player is actually injured. I'm going to dig a little deeper, because I don't want to steer you wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is not how things work.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am

Unless it's changed (and I was referring to Yahoo), it's not so much that a player is injured, it's more of a fact that you have an active player on your DL and you're not allowed to add any players while having an active player on your DL.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:02 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:Unless it's changed (and I was referring to Yahoo), it's not so much that a player is injured, it's more of a fact that you have an active player on your DL and you're not allowed to add any players while having an active player on your DL.

I understand what you're saying. My point is that the trade processing code doesn't appear to do any checks that would reveal that a guy in your DL slot is not injured i.e. he's active. The closest thing is it tries to make sure that your roster would not be beyond the max roster size. In doing so, it tries to figure out how many people you'd have on the DL, but I see no indication that it figures out if they belong there or not.

I'd also add that if it does work in the way you guys are describing, and the cause is just not obvious, I'd file a bug to try to fix that. Hardly fair since a guy could come off the DL just before your trade is processed, which would hose the trade through no fault of either owner.

There are related cases that could cause a trade to fail, however. For example:
- My team has player A on the DL, player B not on the DL, and an empty roster slot.
- I trade you B for C and D. It lets me propose this (because I can put C in B's slot, and D in the empty slot). It clearly lets you accept it (because you are giving up two guys and getting one back).
- While the trade is in review, I remove A from the DL and place them into the empty roster slot.
- When it comes time to process the trade, we can't let me have C and D, because then my roster would have more than the allowable number of players.

I hate this code, by the way ;-) There are just tons of edge cases and strange scenarios.

Let me ask you this: if you believe you've observed this happen (i.e. the trade refusing to process because of an active player in the DL slot), would that league have had a trade review period, or not? Those cases are also handled differently, just to keep me on my toes.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:12 pm

I thought if you had Doumit in the DL slot still and made a trade not involving him it would have issues, since when the transaction was going to take place you'd have a guy in the DL that was no long on DL? But if you trade away that DL player it'll be fine (as long as the trade doesn't put your team over the roster limit since you'll be getting 2 players initially active on your roster for 1 active player and 1 DL player). In that case it doesn't matter if Doumitt was still on the real DL or not, the trade wouldn't go through.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 pm

The league had a review period, and a previous attempt to make a trade was vetoed, so I was waiting on pins and needles for the second trade to get processed (I felt I was still getting away with highway robbery), but I got an e-mail saying that the trade could not be processed because I had an active player on the DL (or the other team had an active player on the DL...I forget). Again, this was a couple of years ago so maybe the situation I experienced has been corrected since then.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby featsofstrength » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:37 pm

I just did the same thing in a Yahoo league. Yahoo will not let me drop/add players when an active player is on the DL. However, I had no problem with a trade. It seems that the restriction does not apply when you are making a trade.
featsofstrength
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:54 pm

featsofstrength wrote:I just did the same thing in a Yahoo league. Yahoo will not let me drop/add players when an active player is on the DL. However, I had no problem with a trade. It seems that the restriction does not apply when you are making a trade.

That would match my understanding, and eyeballing the code is doing nothing to convince me otherwise. I'd expect similar behavior if you submit a waiver claim with a guy on the DL who becomes active before the claim is processed. The spirit and intent is this: you could be in this state through no fault of your own. Perhaps your guy became active while you were sleeping prior to the trade/claim processing. In a case like that, we don't intend to punish the owner in question.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers