100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Money Leagues"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am

Field wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:I enjoy playing fantasy "for the love of the game", but I think I'm going to try to get into a $500+ league next year as long as the settings a somewhat standard. Not sure where I'll be able to find a league like that, but I'm going to try.

I've been playing for money for 10 years now and those leagues are a lot different from free leagues. You cut out a lot of BS and people are more serious. Playoffs are ridiculously thrilling when you are playing for a couple thousand bucks. Just like gambling but 10 times the fun. :-D

I'm not a huge fan of H2H. I'll play it, but I definitely enjoy Roto much, much more. I think it's because it mimics the marathon nature of a baseball season especially in the statistical sense negating much of the "luck" factor. I don't think I'd put a significant amount of money on the line if it was a H2H league unless it was really deep.

I've played smaller money leagues before, but unless it's really going to make an significant impact in my wallet then it's just like playing any other league to me really - I'll try to win just as hard.

I like the playoff system. Keeps more players in = more money.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:53 am

hot4tx wrote:
fezzik wrote:
silverZ wrote:160 teams
$150 buy in
1000 to first place
500 to second
etc

That's one deep league...I've never played with more than 20 teams.

I assume he meant to type in 16-team league? If not it looks like the commish is keeping a cool $20k per year with those kinds of payouts. I will commish a league for only 60% of that! ;-)

Oh, I'm sure that's what he meant, but sometimes I have an overwhelming urge to be a smarta$$...and I just can't stop myself. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 am

I like Roto alot more, however, I disagree with the Roto being more realistic statement.

I think H2H is more like RL baseball. In RL baseball, if a player hits 30 home runs in one week, and none the rest of the saeason, he had the best week in the history of baseball, and his team probably won every game that week, but the rest of the season, his no home runs don't contribute, yet in Roto those 30 homers could carry a team for months. H2H is more realistic that weekly stats matter more than what the player accumulates ,however, it also makes it more luck-centroic, becaus eeven good players have week long slumps.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby hot4tx » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 am

fezzik wrote:
hot4tx wrote:
I assume he meant to type in 16-team league? If not it looks like the commish is keeping a cool $20k per year with those kinds of payouts. I will commish a league for only 60% of that! ;-)

Oh, I'm sure that's what he meant, but sometimes I have an overwhelming urge to be a smarta$$...and I just can't stop myself. ;-)

I am still hoping he is paying a commish $20k. My dream of being rich without working depends on this or winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby hot4tx » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:I like Roto alot more, however, I disagree with the Roto being more realistic statement.

I think H2H is more like RL baseball. In RL baseball, if a player hits 30 home runs in one week, and none the rest of the saeason, he had the best week in the history of baseball, and his team probably won every game that week, but the rest of the season, his no home runs don't contribute, yet in Roto those 30 homers could carry a team for months. H2H is more realistic that weekly stats matter more than what the player accumulates ,however, it also makes it more luck-centroic, becaus eeven good players have week long slumps.

...and as you said even the good players have week long slumps for their ML teams, and the SF Giants sometimes suck out and take 2 close ones out of 3 from a good team.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:I wonder if you could get a 100 person league to work. C, CI MI, OF, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP.

900 players would be drafted...would a snake draft even it out?

Someone would be starting Tony F. Pena. And be happy about it. There arent 100 catchers on all MLB rosters combined. Same with SP, your set up would require 300, there are probably about that many starters all season, including 1-2 start guys.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:I wonder if you could get a 100 person league to work. C, CI MI, OF, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP.

900 players would be drafted...would a snake draft even it out?

Someone would be starting Tony F. Pena. And be happy about it. There arent 100 catchers on all MLB rosters combined. Same with SP, your set up would require 300, there are probably about that many starters all season, including 1-2 start guys.

Hmm, Good point.

Util, CI, MI, OF, P, P, P

How's that look?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zhutou » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:38 pm

is anyone willing to participate in a high stakes fantasy league next season? meaning the buyin is like $500-$1000. just trying to see if there is any interest, because i would definitely organize one if there is enough.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silverZ » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:18 pm

160 team league would be crazy. maybe 5 players per team? C IF OF SP RP...5x5 roto? nahhh that'd never work. :-b
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:20 pm

I'd think Save+Holds would have to be a cat, because there's only 30 closers, but a ton of holds guys, and that, way, if a person wants they can alwys ditch both saves and holds and only lose one cat.

I actually wanna get a 100 person league going now. :-b

It ewould have to be Roto, too.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers