"Money Leagues" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Money Leagues"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby The_Natural » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:45 am

JMB05 wrote:
Rman3911 wrote:$100 buy in, 12 team league. We play with percentages, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Also we pay extra money to the person with the most points for, and best record (not a roto league, points league) VERY competetive.



So this post here is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I have always wondered what the correlation between a "VERY competitive" league, and the amount of money in that league is.

I quite often stumble on posts where people say "...but in my BIG money league...," it always had me wondering if a certain amount of money turns it into a highly competitive league.

So I guess what i am also after is what do you guys define as a "competitive league."

Now I never posted how much I put into my league, so here it is...

I told a friend I would join a league to help him out. $20 dollar buy in $0 transaction fees, 8 team H2H. I do check it once a week but, as my place in the standing suggests, I just don't care about that team. I invest so much into my main team I have very little left to offer.
Main league is 10 team roto league with weekly h2h kicker to give the guys at the bottom a reason to keep playing. $250 buy in, transactions are $10 a piece, weekly fine handed out when your players do too well.

The pot will have $5000-$6000, by the end.

I define it as highly competitive because the owners and league have been around for 20+ years, I am the new kid on the block. No one will trade EVER because they all worry about getting screwed, and its about as cut throat as it gets.

But by gosh its the most fun I have all year, and quite honestly if I didn't have the chance to win money I would still pay for the oppurtunity to play ;-D



How can an 8 team league be fun?
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 310
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby JMB05 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:22 am

It can't. Hence why I don't pay attention to it.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 480
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 15 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 am

I honestly think its less about money and more about the people. My one group of football(12 team)/baseball (18 team) guys are both relatively low dollar payouts (At most a winner will bring in about $800) but because most of us are in both leagues and communicate on a regular basis its intense. The football one has people on the site every day or two all offseason and the trash talking is a blast (though slightly unoriginal, bunch of teachers).

The football one is set to crank up $5 a year, as we all get older and have a little more to throw around, so it will eventually become a "big money league".

I did a 14 team Roto $500 baseball, no transaction cost, winner take all league a few years. The money was nice the year I won, but it was too much for me. Because the pot was SO big I couldn't enjoy it and everyone was so tight on the trades. Plus it was redraft, which I hate long term. It was with some of my coworkers, and we could all afford it easily, but it just wasn't any fun.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 410
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:32 am

The_Natural wrote:
JMB05 wrote:
Rman3911 wrote:$100 buy in, 12 team league. We play with percentages, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Also we pay extra money to the person with the most points for, and best record (not a roto league, points league) VERY competetive.



So this post here is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I have always wondered what the correlation between a "VERY competitive" league, and the amount of money in that league is.

I quite often stumble on posts where people say "...but in my BIG money league...," it always had me wondering if a certain amount of money turns it into a highly competitive league.

So I guess what i am also after is what do you guys define as a "competitive league."

Now I never posted how much I put into my league, so here it is...

I told a friend I would join a league to help him out. $20 dollar buy in $0 transaction fees, 8 team H2H. I do check it once a week but, as my place in the standing suggests, I just don't care about that team. I invest so much into my main team I have very little left to offer.
Main league is 10 team roto league with weekly h2h kicker to give the guys at the bottom a reason to keep playing. $250 buy in, transactions are $10 a piece, weekly fine handed out when your players do too well.

The pot will have $5000-$6000, by the end.

I define it as highly competitive because the owners and league have been around for 20+ years, I am the new kid on the block. No one will trade EVER because they all worry about getting screwed, and its about as cut throat as it gets.

But by gosh its the most fun I have all year, and quite honestly if I didn't have the chance to win money I would still pay for the oppurtunity to play ;-D



How can an 8 team league be fun?

I've been in an 8-team league before and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The rosters were unbelievably deep and it presented new and different challenges than 10/12-team leagues do, similar to the way 16+ team leagues do, only different. I'm not a huge fan of the "how could you possibly have fun..." mentality, with regard to league size. I understand the arguments against certain things, but different strokes for different folks. If someone wants to have a 6-team league that counts triples, complete games, and balks, more power to them.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24815
(Past Year: 360)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:51 am

I enjoy playing fantasy "for the love of the game", but I think I'm going to try to get into a $500+ league next year as long as the settings a somewhat standard. Not sure where I'll be able to find a league like that, but I'm going to try.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 2549
Joined: 4 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NH

Re: Re:

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Please, in my keeper we play for unborn children. :-°

What good are they? They can't very well work until they're out of the womb...



:-b


You get first dibs on them once they're born. Thought that was pretty standard with unborn children. :-?
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:18 am

Field wrote:I enjoy playing fantasy "for the love of the game", but I think I'm going to try to get into a $500+ league next year as long as the settings a somewhat standard. Not sure where I'll be able to find a league like that, but I'm going to try.


I've been playing for money for 10 years now and those leagues are a lot different from free leagues. You cut out a lot of BS and people are more serious. Playoffs are ridiculously thrilling when you are playing for a couple thousand bucks. Just like gambling but 10 times the fun. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby hot4tx » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 am

fezzik wrote:
silverZ wrote:160 teams
$150 buy in
1000 to first place
500 to second
etc


That's one deep league...I've never played with more than 20 teams.


I assume he meant to type in 16-team league? If not it looks like the commish is keeping a cool $20k per year with those kinds of payouts. I will commish a league for only 60% of that! ;-)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1933
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am

I wonder if you could get a 100 person league to work. C, CI MI, OF, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP.

900 players would be drafted...would a snake draft even it out?
Last edited by Yanks_Baby on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Money Leagues"

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 am

Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:I enjoy playing fantasy "for the love of the game", but I think I'm going to try to get into a $500+ league next year as long as the settings a somewhat standard. Not sure where I'll be able to find a league like that, but I'm going to try.


I've been playing for money for 10 years now and those leagues are a lot different from free leagues. You cut out a lot of BS and people are more serious. Playoffs are ridiculously thrilling when you are playing for a couple thousand bucks. Just like gambling but 10 times the fun. :-D


I'm not a huge fan of H2H. I'll play it, but I definitely enjoy Roto much, much more. I think it's because it mimics the marathon nature of a baseball season especially in the statistical sense negating much of the "luck" factor. I don't think I'd put a significant amount of money on the line if it was a H2H league unless it was really deep.

I've played smaller money leagues before, but unless it's really going to make an significant impact in my wallet then it's just like playing any other league to me really - I'll try to win just as hard.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 2549
Joined: 4 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NH

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, Pogotheostrich and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact