Ellsbury...Nooooooooooooo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ellsbury...Nooooooooooooo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ellsbury...Nooooooooooooo

Postby Adventuresofgabe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:24 pm

tweaked that wrist pretty badly, hopefully its not bad.
Adventuresofgabe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ellsbury...Nooooooooooooo

Postby bjfcool2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:24 pm

any updates?! :-o
bjfcool2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby checkers » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Xray is negative.... lucky it's not fracture...
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Doughhead » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Good God. When it rains, it pours. Let's all pray this is minor.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby cidawkins » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:18 am

I was at the game last night and it looked ugly. On his way out he was pointing to his thumb side of the wrist, which usually isn't good. The bone of the wrist on that side (the scaphoid) when fractured takes longer than usual to heal. There's also not much on the side of the wrist unlike in the middle or the pinkie finger side of the wrist.

Normal x-rays many times don't show these type of fractures so an MRI is normally needed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed though and I hope I'm wrong because he was lighting it up so far.
cidawkins
T-Ball Trainer

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:53 pm

I don't remember where, but I read he was going to have an MRI today. Even if it's clean I don't think he plays today. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play all weekend really. Beyond that, we'll have to wait for additional news, such as MRI results. Officially he's listed day-to-day right now.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:01 pm

wildbill wrote:I don't remember where, but I read he was going to have an MRI today. Even if it's clean I don't think he plays today. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play all weekend really. Beyond that, we'll have to wait for additional news, such as MRI results. Officially he's listed day-to-day right now.

Yeah, I'd say an MRI is a given. I agree with you that we won't be seeing him for a few days at least, most likely.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rp723 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:39 pm

From Rotoworld:

An MRI on Jacoby Ellsbury's wrist came back negative, and the rookie could be available to pinch-run tonight.
Ellsbury suffered a strained right wrist while making a diving catch on Thursday. It looks like there's a shot that he'll be back this weekend.
rp723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:46 pm

rp723 wrote:From Rotoworld:

An MRI on Jacoby Ellsbury's wrist came back negative, and the rookie could be available to pinch-run tonight.
Ellsbury suffered a strained right wrist while making a diving catch on Thursday. It looks like there's a shot that he'll be back this weekend.

;-D
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Gordon Edes and Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff wrote:In the midst of the gloom, some good news: Jacoby Ellsbury wasn't fitted for a Papi-like cast for his strained right wrist.
more stories like this

No cast at all, in fact, for the Red Sox outfielder, even though he bent his right wrist backward while making a diving catch Thursday night against the Tampa Bay Rays.

"He had a good day," manager Terry Francona said, "probably not the funnest day for him. He got up early, was examined, had an MRI. Everything's come back really clean. I think he's excited, relieved. So are we."

Team medical director Thomas Gill suggested to Francona that Ellsbury might be available to pinch run, but the manager said he was not inclined to use Ellsbury in that capacity unless he was ready to hit. Ellsbury did not take batting practice on the field.

"I don't think this will be very long," Francona said. "I told him, 'Tell me when you're ready to play.' "

The Sox have a 28-15 record in games in which Ellsbury has batted leadoff. They are 10-11 in games in which he doesn't.

With Coco Crisp, who batted leadoff last night in the 8-0 loss to the Mariners, the Sox are 5-5.

"The best thing is there's nothing torn, nothing broke," said Ellsbury, who admitted he was alarmed when he rolled over on the wrist.

Asked when he might start swinging a bat, he said, "It's hard to say. There was a big improvement from yesterday to today, so hopefully [there will be] the same improvement tomorrow."

Ellsbury jammed his right wrist near the end of the 2005 season, his first in pro ball, and the Sox were still limiting his baseball activities in spring training the following year.

Injury cast in a good light
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates