Is Coco Crisp pissing anyone else off? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Coco Crisp pissing anyone else off?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Coco Crisp pissing anyone else off?

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Field wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It was incredibly late, and he seemingly tried to knock his elbow/arm into Iwamura's midsection. But don't take my word for it, just ask Coco if he was trying to hurt him, he already gave his answer.

Quote please? I haven't seen a quote where Coco said that he was intentionally trying to injur/hurt someone. Even if he was, what's the difference between that and intentionally throwing at a batter?

“He put his whole knee in front of the bag, and it’s not something you do as an infielder. You can do that, but that’s shady,” Crisp said. “And he’s not a bad dude, but that’s shady. It is what it is. You gonna hurt me, I’m going to come back and hurt you.

Why'd you leave this part out?

“I went in hard to send a message. If I wanted to hurt someone, I wouldn’t have even slid, I would have jump-kicked his (butt). I was going in there to send a message. I did what I said I was going to do, unfortunately it was to the wrong person. I don’t know why they didn’t have Bartlett covering the bag. If it was me, I would have been there to take my own licking.”
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Also, that second part of the quote makes him sound even more dumb. Bartlett should have covered the bag on a steal just so Crisp could take him out and he could take his own licking? :-b :-b come on :-b :-b

It seemed like Crisp intended to sound like a non-sensical idiot which is why it's so funny... calling the Rays girls and referencing Gomes as the "big dude".

I guess the Twins have a reputation for blocking bags with their legs (Bartlett being an ex-Twin), apparently it's not looked upon well by the rest of the league (and Coco evidently).
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Here is the one thing I didn't get. He knew they were going to hit him, why not just take it and go first and let it end, or let Lester hit someone :-?

because he's a punk, it's not complicated. watch the interview on ESPN and it comes through completely. he just wanted to fight for the heck of it...

Yeah, all 170 pounds of him. That worked out well on a field of huge baseball players.

he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed....
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:01 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:because he's a punk, it's not complicated. watch the interview on ESPN and it comes through completely. he just wanted to fight for the heck of it...

Yeah, all 170 pounds of him. That worked out well on a field of huge baseball players.

he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed....

His interview after the game could tell you that much.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Here is the one thing I didn't get. He knew they were going to hit him, why not just take it and go first and let it end, or let Lester hit someone :-?

because he's a punk, it's not complicated. watch the interview on ESPN and it comes through completely. he just wanted to fight for the heck of it...

No... not that I don't think Crisp was acting like a punk with his speech, but its possible the reason was because then he knew Lester would get ejected from the game, and it might have been the Red Sox who won the game. Instead, Shields gets ejected in the 2nd, and the Rays have to use the bullpen for the rest of the game. And the Sox lose Crisp... not a big deal if Ellsbury doesn't get injured... even with Ellsbury injured, Shields is a much bigger loss in that game.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 pm

I really hadn't been paying attention to what had been going on until the brawl. I had seen the slide, but I hadn't thought much of it. I thought it was strange that he was sliding in like that when it wasn't a double play. I missed the the argument between him and Madden.

Then the fight happened, and I was most angry about it, cause my 6 year old girl was watching the game with me. Had to explain to her why these grown men were fighting with each other... an because I hadn't been paying attention in the previous game, I didn't know why.

The fight was what it was, and things like that happen on occasion. I was kind of surprised that while Navarro was holding Crisp down, 3 Rays players jumped on and started punching at him... seemed like gangster tactics to me.

But all and all, I think I was most bothered by what Crisp said after the game... I was listening to that, and thinking... what an idiot! It was one of those times that I'm thinking to myself. Really, sometimes people just need to know when to shut their big traps! Lol.

I didn't hear Shield's post game interview, but I hear he had a similar attitude, as far as hitting Crisp with the pitch goes.

As an aside, a lot of people say its okay to throw a 90 mph fastball at someone in retaliation... I don't happen to agree. But can someone tell me why none of the pitchers that do it are smart enough to wait until the 6th or 7th inning so that they don't get kicked out of the game very early, making it a project for their team to piece together the relief pitching to get them through the rest of the game. You'd think they'd be more intelligent than that.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:52 am

Shields definitely made a tactical mistake by throwing a Coco that early in the game. If the Rays win that game they're a .5 game up rather than 1.5 games back, it's really stupid to try to retaliate when you're down 3-0 early. I'm a Sox fan, but I'm not going to defend Coco. Yeah, I agree he's a little to cocky considering how poor he is offensively. He plays great defense, but I don't think that justifies his attitude.

People shouldn't be pissed at Coco for Crawford for getting suspended. Crawford should've never ran in and started punching people when they're down, the same goes with Gomes and Iwamura. They should be pissed at the players for making a bad situation worse.

Honestly, why is Lester suspended five games? Does anyone have a clip of him being a major part of this brawl? I know Casey threw some punches, but I wasn't expecting Lester to get suspended.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers