Is Coco Crisp pissing anyone else off? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Coco Crisp pissing anyone else off?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Coco Crisp pissing anyone else off?

Postby cjd92280 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Smileyman9 wrote:
Field wrote:...I'd rather have a player on my team that plays with emotion rather than apathy.

Which is exactly why I love what the Rays are doing as a team; Not just rolling over and dying...showing some life and sticking up for each other.

As far as punishment goes, you have to figure Crisp, Gomes, Crawford, Shields and Iwamura all see something. Tough to say who gets the most (depends on if they look at the events leading up to this).

If I had to guess on most severe to least severe punishment I'd think Crisp 5 Games (as the guy who charged) Gomes 5 games, Crawford 3 games, Iwamura 3 games and Shields sneaking by with a 1 game suspension (yes he hit Crisp...but can they prove that the ball didn't just "slip").

I don't think they can prove whether or not the ball slipped, but the MLB won't miss the haymaker that he threw and whiffed on. Intent of the punch will get him 5 games as well I think.
cjd92280
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:37 pm

cjd92280 wrote:
Smileyman9 wrote:
Field wrote:...I'd rather have a player on my team that plays with emotion rather than apathy.

Which is exactly why I love what the Rays are doing as a team; Not just rolling over and dying...showing some life and sticking up for each other.

As far as punishment goes, you have to figure Crisp, Gomes, Crawford, Shields and Iwamura all see something. Tough to say who gets the most (depends on if they look at the events leading up to this).

If I had to guess on most severe to least severe punishment I'd think Crisp 5 Games (as the guy who charged) Gomes 5 games, Crawford 3 games, Iwamura 3 games and Shields sneaking by with a 1 game suspension (yes he hit Crisp...but can they prove that the ball didn't just "slip").

I don't think they can prove whether or not the ball slipped, but the MLB won't miss the haymaker that he threw and whiffed on. Intent of the punch will get him 5 games as well I think.

Self-Defense? :-)
Seriously though, wouldn't a 5 game suspension = 1 start? Pitchers getting suspended always confuses me on games vs. days
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby soccerballer002 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Just wanted to add my thoughts as a Rays fan. I was okay with everything that happened up until Crisp's postgame interview. Yea, I thought that the initial knee block by Bartlett wasn't dirty at all, and I thought the response of the Sox should have been a pitch in Bartletts leg and not a "hard slide" into Iwamura. But that being said the only thing that put me over the edge was interview...basically the guy presents himself like a punk so why should I feel any differently about him. When you read his quotes as someone posted, it does not seem that bad what he said. However, if you saw it on TV he just makes himself seem like a punk. That being said, I will be at the Sox/Rays series for sure when they come down here...go Rays!!
soccerballer002
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Smileyman9 wrote: If I had to guess on most severe to least severe punishment I'd think Crisp 5 Games (as the guy who charged) Gomes 5 games, Crawford 3 games, Iwamura 3 games and Shields sneaking by with a 1 game suspension (yes he hit Crisp...but can they prove that the ball didn't just "slip").
Shields will be five games cause he is a pitcher. Anything less is basically no suspension.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Smileyman9 wrote: If I had to guess on most severe to least severe punishment I'd think Crisp 5 Games (as the guy who charged) Gomes 5 games, Crawford 3 games, Iwamura 3 games and Shields sneaking by with a 1 game suspension (yes he hit Crisp...but can they prove that the ball didn't just "slip").
Shields will be five games cause he is a pitcher. Anything less is basically no suspension.

Right; But does 5 games = 1GS
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Smileyman9 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Right; But does 5 games = 1GS

It really just means pushing back your next start 1 day.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mclusky » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:02 pm

dweenmachine wrote:Unwritten rule about blocking 2nd, whatever. Coco, right or wrong, thought that it was a cheap play on Bartlett's part (I'm with Bartlett on this one).

It's illegal to obstruct the bag unless you have the ball, which Bartlett didn't. (FWIW, it's also illegal to block home plate, except umpires don't enforce it.) It's no different than if Carl Crawford bunted for a hit and Kevin Youkilis stood in front of first base like a linebacker waiting for him. The overwhelming risk of injury as well as the rule book (written and unwritten) are what makes it a cheap/dirty/bush play, whatever you call it.

Maybe it wasn't intentional on Bartlett's part, and it doesn't necessarily justify Crisp's antics, but it does explain why he was upset.
mclusky
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Champion

Postby Russell James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:05 pm

With all this Crisp bashing it is easy to forget that the Red Sox won the game and swept the series. Pretty Impressive considering that hal of their team is on the DL.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 pm

W/e. Carl Crawford and J Gomes are the ones that pissed me off.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 pm

The one thing I can say about Crisps slide in response to him not cleating is that he said after the game that if someone was going to try and hurt him he was going to hurt someone else, so his intent WAS to hurt Aki and not just make a good hard slide.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers