First Place but Still Want to Improve - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First Place but Still Want to Improve

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Place but Still Want to Improve

Postby mattpullman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Okay, I have to be honest, my team is pretty filthy. It is a 10 team league, normal teams + 2 UTIL. This is my current starting roster:

C- Bengie Molina
1B- Ryan Howard
2B- BJ Upton
3B- Garrett Atkins
SS- Ryan Theriot
OF- Carlos Lee
OF- Ryan Braun
OF- Lance Berkman
UTIL- Nick Markakis
UTIL- Adrian Gonzalez
Bench- Matt Holliday
DL- Troy Tulowitzki

SP- Volquez, James Shields, Ryan Dempster, Tim Hudson, Verlander, Joe Saunders, Todd Wellemeyer
RP- Francisco Rodriguez, George Sherrill, Brad Lidge

I offered Molina+Wellemeyer for Brian McCann and the guy is considering it but not sure yet, (he is weak in pitching).
mattpullman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: First Place but Still Want to Improve

Postby cruecu » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:10 am

I'm surprised you don't have better pitching than that in a 10 team. I personally still don't trust Volquez, considering his stats are unsustainable. I'll think he'll be a decent pitcher from here on out, but with Dusty, that ballpark, and the league seeing him more, something's gotta give. I also think it's going to be an off year for Verlander. I'm not high on Saunders being able to sustain based on his underlying numbers either. He just doesn't have the "stuff" to continue to be this good. Hudson is what he is, and that's not a great fantasy pitcher. I wouldn't feel too confident with Wellemeyer, Shields, and Dempster either. In a league that small, where are your proven horses? Where are your Lackey's, Kazmir's, Sheet's, Webb's, Johan's, etc? Someone must be loaded if you only have Verlander from the "name" pitchers. Unlucky for you, Verlander just doesn't seem right. If it were me, I'd package 2 of those pitchers for one better pitcher. In a 10 team, there should be guys on your waiver wire that are close to some of your pitchers. If you can dramatically upgrade by using Saunders' hot start as trade bait, do it. You're in first because of Volquez and Saunders having hot starts. Do you trust that to continue? I'm in an 8 team league, and I've managed to collect this staff: Kazmir, Lackey, Vazquez, Sheets, Bedard, Billingsley, Oswalt....K-Rod, Soriano, BJ Ryan. With that depth in pitching, I can afford to wait for Bedard and Oswalt to come around. I much prefer guys who have done it year in and year out, with the exception of Billingsley. He's just nasty, since he K's 8 even when he loses and throws 5 innings.
cruecu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team