Lakers/Celtics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Lakers/Celtics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lakers/Celtics

Postby Pacman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:13 am

It's been thrilling for sure. I think Danny Ainge needs to be credited with not only putting KG/Allen/Pierce together, but also (and equally importantly) building a remarkable team AROUND those guys.

To those in here congratulating the C's and their fans... thanks. To those hating Boston, I understand. But do try to understand this... I'm one of the older folks in here (43), and I've been through stretches where all of Boston's pro teams collectively went through multiple year as laughing stocks. What's going on this decade, with the Pats, Sox and now Celtics is something that rarely happens in a single sports market. And like Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers fans of past eras, folks around the country are going to not like teams/fans enjoying more success than their own favorite teams are. So like I said I understand if you "hate" Boston. But I/we really can't worry too much about it. This certainly won't last forever, so those of us who are smart will remember that, and enjoy these years while we're still living in them. Then it'll be another city's turn.

Peace.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:56 am

bleach168 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I wonder if the Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers fans are on the brink of suicide... :-D

Not at all since they are now Colts/RedSox/Celtic fans.

fixed. People still love Payton more than Eli.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 am

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:42 am

Yoda wrote:Image

Now that's something I'll never get tired of.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 am

The only thing I hate is how the media is all over Doc Rivers as being this unbelievable coach and how it was one of the best turnarounds in NBA history. This is not the same team or even close to the same team that was put on the floor last year. How much was this championship on Rivers as opposed to the Celtics getting an MVP in his prime and a perennial all-star in his prime? Boston deserves the championship because they were the best team in the NBA, but I just hate the comparisons to last years team. It's not even close to the same team.

I still think the Lakers turnaround and improvement is more impressive than the Celtics "turnaround".
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 am

Nah, I doubt we will ever see the Unholy Trilogy change or a new one form. It's just a product of a different time, pre 24-7 sports coverage. Teams will never be as iconic again IMHO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 pm

I wouldn't call the Laker's turnaround better than the Celtics'. The Lakers benefited from a stupid trade (a steal!), and a Western Conf. that was somewhat overrated. Many teams' problems contributed to the Lakers getting to the Finals.
San Antonio: Manu hurt
Suns: Horrible deal for Shaq, screwed up the teams play
Houston: No Yao
Dallas: Much better off w/o Kidd, Dirk is not a leader
New Orleans: Very Young, need to go through losses before becoming great
Utah: Same as above, but closer
IMO the NBA as a whole is a notch below where they have been in recent history. It pains me to say it, but the Lakers will be good for awhile, but they have been given too much credit, mostly because of Kobe and their media status.
And while I'm ranting, the next person who compares you know who to MJ, needs to be shot. THERE IS NO COMPARISON, unless you count the acting that Kobe does, and the voice changing. Jordan NEVER would have gone out like 'the next one' did, never. I don't want to hear about defense either, because as good as the Celtics D was, it doesn't compare to the past one bit. If MJ had to score 70% of his team's points to make a game at least close, he would have, no matter who guarded him.
Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I'll get toasted, but this is disgusting. Everyone said before the series that L.A. had the better team, coach, everything. Kobe just flat out did not and can not get it done!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I wouldn't call the Laker's turnaround better than the Celtics'. The Lakers benefited from a stupid trade (a steal!), and a Western Conf. that was somewhat overrated. Many teams' problems contributed to the Lakers getting to the Finals.
IMO the NBA as a whole is a notch below where they have been in recent history. It pains me to say it, but the Lakers will be good for awhile, but they have been given too much credit, mostly because of Kobe and their media status.
And while I'm ranting, the next person who compares you know who to MJ, needs to be shot. THERE IS NO COMPARISON, unless you count the acting that Kobe does, and the voice changing. Jordan NEVER would have gone out like 'the next one' did, never. I don't want to hear about defense either, because as good as the Celtics D was, it doesn't compare to the past one bit. If MJ had to score 70% of his team's points to make a game at least close, he would have, no matter who guarded him.
Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I'll get toasted, but this is disgusting. Everyone said before the series that L.A. had the better team, coach, everything. Kobe just flat out did not and can not get it done!

I somehow fear for your kids' lives. :-D

I don't mind Laker haters, but what I do not tolerate is one that displays disgusting ignorance, coming up with all kinds of sorry excuses for why the Lakers have been successful. You even mistaken the Lakers for having two Germans on the squad, when one is Serbian (Radmanovic) and one is Slovenian (Vujacic).

Lastly, any enlightened fan won't compare Kobe to MJ or anyone for that matter. Furthermore, it seems to me that some Bulls fans have the demented sense to compare everything to Jordan and the Bulls' 90's teams, as much as the media harps upon the Kobe/Lebron to MJ comparisons.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:49 pm

As to who had the more impressive turnaround, I'd say it's the Lakers. The Celtics made the wholesale changes to get Garnett and Allen while making smart moves to get Posey and House to fill in for their bench. However, the Lakers had a rubbish team from the start, with excesses in power forwards that for the most part were rubbish (i.e. Mihm, Kwame Brown, Cook), and really were a disjointed, youthful team that didn't have a boatload of individual upside, outside of Odom and Kobe. Then, you had guys like Bynum who improved greatly into being a better post presence offensive and defensively. Vujacic was always afraid of taking the big shots, but he made them, and was one of the better 3 point shooters this year. Farmar elevated his game a bit compared to last year. I think the Lakers have had the pieces minus Gasol but with some suspect individual play, they didn't function well as a unit at all. This was a miraculous turnaround, if you've seen the team play for the last couple of years.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I wouldn't call the Laker's turnaround better than the Celtics'. The Lakers benefited from a stupid trade (a steal!), and a Western Conf. that was somewhat overrated. Many teams' problems contributed to the Lakers getting to the Finals.

I somehow fear for your kids' lives. :-D

I don't mind Laker haters, but what I do not tolerate is one that displays disgusting ignorance, coming up with all kinds of sorry excuses for why the Lakers have been successful. You even mistaken the Lakers for having two Germans on the squad, when one is Serbian (Radmanovic) and one is Slovenian (Vujacic).

Lastly, any enlightened fan won't compare Kobe to MJ or anyone for that matter. Furthermore, it seems to me that some Bulls fans have the demented sense to compare everything to Jordan and the Bulls' 90's teams, as much as the media harps upon the Kobe/Lebron to MJ comparisons.

I knew there would be some backlash. The German remark was a complete joke, and probably not even funny. The whole MJ to Kobe thing is everywhere, unless you live under a rock, you have seen it on TV and in print and this thread. Me having disgust for Kobe and having to deal with people wrongly putting him upon a pedestal has nothing to do with being a Bulls fan. The guy was a jerk and still is one ever since his draft day. There are just too many examples to list, and I laugh when I see all these spots trying to restore his image. ESPN specials from his house with his wife in every shot, him bringing his two children to the after game press conferences. I may be going too far, but in my book, he still needs to earn the greatness/greatest tag, and by no means has he. The table was set for his team this year, with what I mentioned before, and he flat out did not even come close to playing like a great player. He b!tched and moaned for better players, got what he wanted, and when things didn't go his way, he kicked and screamed and cried to these guys. Why doesn't he just shut up, work with the players in practice, and get it done.
I don't know about anyone else, but I do not see how anyone who wasn't a Laker fan before his arrival, could be close to one since his arrival.
And yes, The Bulls were the best team ever! :-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk