Zumaya bringin' the Hot Sauce - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Zumaya bringin' the Hot Sauce

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Zumaya bringin' the Hot Sauce

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:31 am

I guess we can put the Lakeland radar gun theory to rest....

"Jun 11 Scott McNeish, of MLB.com, reports Detroit Tigers RP Joel Zumaya (shoulder) allowed two runs (one earned) and two hits while walking two in just one inning of work Wednesday, June 11. He reported no pain in his shoulder and hit 100 mph on the radar gun twice. Zumaya has another rehab outing scheduled for Friday, June 13. "

That is the Toledo-AAA club gun.

"Jun 12 RHP Joel Zumaya could rejoin the Tigers June 20 for a series in his home area of San Diego. Zumaya has several rehab outings planned for Class AAA Toledo, but manager Jim Leyland said the target was to activate the flame-thrower in time to pitch where his family lives. "I think Zumaya's had this rehab mapped out better than the trainers," Leyland said."

Note that no tigers relievers have more than 2-3 holds. Todd Jones is also still in the single digits as far as strikeouts. Zumaya could be closing sooner as opposed to later, though he is still an injury risk.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:44 pm

OnceinDC2\1 wrote:I guess we can put the Lakeland radar gun theory to rest....

"Jun 11 Scott McNeish, of MLB.com, reports Detroit Tigers RP Joel Zumaya (shoulder) allowed two runs (one earned) and two hits while walking two in just one inning of work Wednesday, June 11. He reported no pain in his shoulder and hit 100 mph on the radar gun twice. Zumaya has another rehab outing scheduled for Friday, June 13. "

"Jun 12 RHP Joel Zumaya could rejoin the Tigers June 20 for a series in his home area of San Diego. Zumaya has several rehab outings planned for Class AAA Toledo, but manager Jim Leyland said the target was to activate the flame-thrower in time to pitch where his family lives. "I think Zumaya's had this rehab mapped out better than the trainers," Leyland said."

Note that no tigers relievers have more than 2-3 holds. Todd Jones is also still in the single digits as far as strikeouts. Zumaya could be closing sooner as opposed to later, though he is still an injury risk.

he also has ZERO blown saves...barring an injury to Jones, Zumaya will not close this year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

he also has ZERO blown saves...barring an injury to Jones, Zumaya will not close this year

If they fade they will likely try and deal jones, he's not a part of the future the way Zumaya is. Can you agree on that? If they fall out of contention might as well see if he can handle the job for next year. I also believe that this is the last year of Todd Jones' contract, but correct me if I am wrong.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm

OnceinDC2\1 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

If they fade they will likely try and deal jones, he's not a part of the future the way Zumaya is. Can you agree on that? If they fall out of contention might as well see if he can handle the job for next year. I also believe that this is the last year of Todd Jones' contract, but correct me if I am wrong.

i guess that's a possibility...
as far as i know Jones is on a 1 year deal. not arguing Zumaya is a potential closer of the future, just sick of seeing people think he's going to come back and take the job from Jones outright
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Danger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:43 pm

I highly doubt the Tigers will call it quits at any point this year. Their roster was designed for and is being paid accordingly to win NOW.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DetroitTigers » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:21 am

I picked up Zumaya last year when he came back from injury and he really wasn't that reliable at times. He had a 4.28 ERA and 17 BB in 33 innings. Do any of you think he's somewhat overrated just because he throws gas and had a great run the year detroit went to the WS?? Holds count in my league and i'm trying to determine whether i should keep him stashed on my bench, but i already have Marmol, Broxton, and Morrow (who may now close).
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates