Clayton Kershaw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Clayton Kershaw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Clayton Kershaw

Postby cannedcorn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:16 pm

4 years....hmmm i didnt realize that

Well I might have been wrong about the future. But as far as this years value the same as Lincicum last year, thats BIT of a stretch.
cannedcorn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevekahuda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Now, I think Kershaw will be good, but their stats from the minors aren't even comparable. Remember, Lincecum

Fresno PCL 23 Sf AAA W - 4 ERA - 0.29 IP - 31.0 K - 46 WHIP - 0.74

In a notorious hitters league. Lincecum was a far better prospect, with the only knock on him being his size. I would expect good K/9, and average everything else.
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cannedcorn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Looks like he just game up 2er on two hits and a BB but has struck out three in 2 IPs. You cant take away the the SOs but geezz I need wins to.
cannedcorn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BklynsFinest » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:50 pm

cannedcorn wrote:Looks like he just game up 2er on two hits and a BB but has struck out three in 2 IPs. You cant take away the the SOs but geezz I need wins to.

I agree!! GRRRR!!!
With 53 pitches thrown through 2 innings he probably wont be in there much longer!
BklynsFinest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 pm

It's been plastered all over fantasy baseball media since before he was called up so it should be a surprise to no one that Kershaw isn't exactly an efficient pitcher and isn't likely to pitch past the 5th ot 6th inning very often and therefore wins will be hard to come by with him.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Hard to see how Kershaw will come close to Lincy's value last year. Lincy was 4 years older, had more experience at higher levels in the minors, and pitched more innings last year than Kershaw likely will this year. Despite the overwhelming hype on Kershaw, I don't think the guy's even legal to drink yet and has no experience even at AAA. He's got the stuff, he will be very good, but as with all young SP you have to expect some serious growing pains.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 pm

cannedcorn wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:I stll see him having similar value to that of Lincecum of last season.

TIm Lincecum value from last year? You on drugs sponge bob? Lincecum was, is and always will be better then this guy. Lincecum is something special, enjoy watching the next great pitcher. But this guy....Im not sold.

You just showed how little you know about baseball with that comment.
Kershaw is four years younger then Lince, so of course he's not going to come straight into the majors with the maturity level of Timmy, but it will develop.

As far as Kershaw not having the kind of season Lince did last year, I don't understand how it's that big of a stretch. It's not like he had an allstar year.
7 wins and ERA in the 4's, 1k an inning, I think it's attainable for Kershaw.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:06 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:As far as Kershaw not having the kind of season Lince did last year, I don't understand how it's that big of a stretch. It's not like he had an allstar year.

He's not going to get the PT that Lince did - that's been made unequivocally clear by everyone who has anything to say about his siutation in LA. I agree he's a K per inning guy though - he just won't have many innings. I also agree he's ~ a 4 ERA guy. What does that make him? Not worth much...
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 pm

I don't think you can compare Kershaw to Lincecum. They're both power pitchers, but Lincecum has more seasoning (including college ball) and has more zip on his pitches than Kershaw. So, even if Lincecum does have the habit of overthrowing, he has equal parts better power and polish than Kershaw to finish off opposing batters.

Anyway, Kershaw is only 20, but he's advanced for a pitcher his age given that he already has two plus-pitches in his arsenal and is still developing a fairly good changeup. He has very good stuff, but the scary thing is he's still learning how to master them. The kid's done fairly good in his first few starts, but as expected the control hasn't been there. On the bright side, like Lincecum, I don't see him being a massive injury risk given that his throwing motion is excellent and I believe he'll eventually harness those pitches to the point where he'll be much more efficient as shown.

As far as redraft leagues go, I would still hang onto Kershaw given that he has far greater upside than your average spot starter.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby cannedcorn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:53 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
cannedcorn wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:I stll see him having similar value to that of Lincecum of last season.

TIm Lincecum value from last year? You on drugs sponge bob? Lincecum was, is and always will be better then this guy. Lincecum is something special, enjoy watching the next great pitcher. But this guy....Im not sold.

You just showed how little you know about baseball with that comment.
Kershaw is four years younger then Lince, so of course he's not going to come straight into the majors with the maturity level of Timmy, but it will develop.

As far as Kershaw not having the kind of season Lince did last year, I don't understand how it's that big of a stretch. It's not like he had an allstar year.

It seems ever one agrees with me about this but you. I admit when Im wrong you cant.
cannedcorn
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates