100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Gordon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Alex Gordon

Postby freeling_prideful » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:11 am

J35J wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:Hasn't homered in about a month, right?

I own him and play him at 3B on my team, but he's a really mediocre player...I am actually considering picking up a replacement like Chad Tracy, but right now I am hesitating b/c I feel Tracy won't play often enough. Otherwise he's definitely the higher-ceiling player for this season...Tracy could go on a 25/100 pace from here on out hitting in the middle of Arizona's lineup.

Really? I mean Really? You expect Chad Tracy who has only hit more then 25 HRs once in his career (Major and minors) to hit that many in 2/3 of the season in a time share? Even if he got every start for the rest of the year he would have completely outpace his historical production.

He said he could go on a 25/100 "pace"....not that he would finish the year with 25 homers.

2 years ago a ton of experts and I think also PECOTA were projecting Tracy's power to improve into the 25-30 HR range. His career has been derailed by injury but now he's back and appears healthy, has smacked 2 homers in his short time back already. And no, I don't expect him to finish with 25, but 15-16 would be about that pace for the rest of the season. It's possible. Tracy also has the advantages of a) much better homepark and b) much better lineup around him.

I didn't say he was a better ballplayer in real life or as a prospect in real life than Gordon. But objectively, if Gordon continues along a 15 HR/70 RBI pace, and Tracy hits those same or close totals in the last 2/3 of the season, he's obviously the better fantasy player. But I could say the same of a lot of 3B qualifiers...Aubrey Huff might even be a better bet--at 9 HR right now, on pace for about 85/85 in RBI/R, and a bit unlucky in the average department thus far.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am

This isnt about Chad Tracy so enough on him. Its about Alex 'The Disappointment" Gordon.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:08 am

I gave up and just dropped Gordon 2 days ago for Lowell. It really is a liberating feeling not having to watch Royals games anymore.

His 0-7 yesterday was no surprise to me. For the 2 months that I owned him I was benching him v lefties every single game. That becomes tedious after a while, because you have to own 2 3B if you own Gordon.

Gordon has never shown the skills that he was hyped for having. While his stats indicate 100% mediocrity, I consider him a well-below-average hitter in the majors due to his complete incompetence v LHP. Although it would never happen, the Royals should send him back down to the minors so he can figure it out.
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:40 pm

I am just so saddened by this turn out. I feel like I put so much into this kid on my dynasty team. I paid a high price to get him before the '07 season & now I am hoping to get Headley for him...very sad that Alex is on par w/ Chase Headley at this junction.

:~(
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Another 0' fer now & Alex is now 0-14 in the last 3 games.

He looked horrible at the plate again.

Still as I shed a tear, I have traded away Alex Gordon tonight. I really hope Colby turns out a heckuva lot better than Alex.

:~( :~( :~(
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 am

Slow Pitch wrote:This isnt about Chad Tracy so enough on him. Its about Alex 'The Disappointment" Gordon.

A pretty good nickname for him there. I drafted him last year thinking I was set at 3B and passed on him this year only to regret it a bit later. If he really can't turn it around and figure out to hit lefties then I think that nickname is fully deserved.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RyanK » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:32 am

If Gordon finishes the year in the top 8-10 3B id say thats about what was expected from him this year.. I know I wasnt expecting 30 HR this year from him
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:35 am

I know how you feel. I have Gordon and passed up a shot at Longoria in a dynasty. Now Im thinking of making a play for Chipper thats gonna cost me a big chunk of my farm system (Parker, Snider).
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:07 pm

RyanK wrote:If Gordon finishes the year in the top 8-10 3B id say thats about what was expected from him this year.. I know I wasnt expecting 30 HR this year from him

I think Gordon does finish in the top 10 3B, but it only goes to show you how "deep" 3B is. A-Rod, Wright, Braun, M-Cab, and Chipper will surely comprise the top 5 barring any serious setbacks while A-Ram and Atkins are on the fringe. From there, there's really quite a dropoff from those 6 on down. At this point, Evan Longoria will outproduce Gordon from here on out as well and vault a spot or a few spots higher than Gordon.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Gordon DNS/CD today. They benched the entire starting infield.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers