Alex Gordon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Gordon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Gordon

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:48 am

What is everyone seeing out of him this year? Improvement # wise for sure, but is it enough? Is he still an UBER ceiling type of guy? I have been really disappointed in him for a year & 2 months now.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alex Gordon

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:What is everyone seeing out of him this year? Improvement # wise for sure, but is it enough? Is he still an UBER ceiling type of guy? I have been really disappointed in him for a year & 2 months now.

When pitchers really need to get him out, they can. He strikes out too much, can't hit lefties and doesn't really seem to be aware of what he needs to do at the plate. He's barely over the mendoza line with runners in scoring position so it shows that if pitchers bare down against him he isn't that tough of an out. I'm really not all that overly optimistic he'll be much more than a .280/20/90 type of guy. I'm disappointed too!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 pm

Fantasy wise? He is on the wrong team to be a real powerhouse player, If he can start stealing some bases here and there he is a middle of the road 3B in an average depth league.

IRL, I can't complain much. He is still striking out on pitches away far too often, but his plate discipline is far and away better than last year. The power will be there, the ball still jumps off his bat. My expectations are still that he will develop into a .900+ OPS type player sooner rather than later.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 pm

While he has been disappointing so far, fantasy owners need to give him a somewhat longer leash. The kid spent 1 season in the minors and has been learning in the majors on arguably one of the most poorly managed ballclubs. I'm not surprised he hasn't taken off yet, but I do think he still has the potential to be pretty special. All the complaints against him are legit but they are all correctable.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:45 pm

I haven't watched too much of Alex Gordon this year, but I did catch watch a few Royals-Angels games earlier in the year. I think he's still a work in progress in gaining quality at-bats, working counts and the like, but for a stretch there, it seemed he was doing those things fairly well. I don't expect Gordon to be all that consistent given that he still strikes out a great deal, but he still has potential for a more than decent stretch (like last September). I don't see Gordon as a .900 OPS hitter this year, but he's too talented to not come close in the end in my opinion. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the lineup protection and from the sounds of things, he hasn't been utilized in the best possible manner with the Royals being the Royals.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:02 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:... with the Royals being the Royals.

what are you trying to say???

...wait don't answer that! :-X
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Hasn't homered in about a month, right?

I own him and play him at 3B on my team, but he's a really mediocre player...I am actually considering picking up a replacement like Chad Tracy, but right now I am hesitating b/c I feel Tracy won't play often enough. Otherwise he's definitely the higher-ceiling player for this season...Tracy could go on a 25/100 pace from here on out hitting in the middle of Arizona's lineup.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:31 am

freeling_prideful wrote:Hasn't homered in about a month, right?

I own him and play him at 3B on my team, but he's a really mediocre player...I am actually considering picking up a replacement like Chad Tracy, but right now I am hesitating b/c I feel Tracy won't play often enough. Otherwise he's definitely the higher-ceiling player for this season...Tracy could go on a 25/100 pace from here on out hitting in the middle of Arizona's lineup.

Really? I mean Really? You expect Chad Tracy who has only hit more then 25 HRs once in his career (Major and minors) to hit that many in 2/3 of the season in a time share? Even if he got every start for the rest of the year he would have completely outpace his historical production.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:06 am

Really enjoyed that 0-7 last night.

I think I am calling it quits on Gordon in my dynasty league. Hopefully I can get Chase Headley for him still.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:07 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:Hasn't homered in about a month, right?

Really? I mean Really? You expect Chad Tracy who has only hit more then 25 HRs once in his career (Major and minors) to hit that many in 2/3 of the season in a time share? Even if he got every start for the rest of the year he would have completely outpace his historical production.

He said he could go on a 25/100 "pace"....not that he would finish the year with 25 homers.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers