WTH Bedard! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WTH Bedard!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WTH Bedard!

Postby kingmike74 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:47 am

Afer his first start off the Dl i was offered Berkman and turned it down :-? :~(
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 am

He's definitely a different pitcher. His mechanics are different than they were last year. His delivery/follow through has changed. And he's definitely not missing as many bats as he did last year. I don't know if it's the hip or some other injury or maybe it's nothing at all, but the results have not been there consistently. Oh well. Can't say I'm shocked that Bedard hasn't materialized as a top 5 starter.

Maybe he'll have a few good starts and the M's can trade him for a GG caliber CF with good offensive upside, a great lefty reliever, and three pretty good prospects.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:He's definitely a different pitcher. His mechanics are different than they were last year. His delivery/follow through has changed. And he's definitely not missing as many bats as he did last year. I don't know if it's the hip or some other injury or maybe it's nothing at all, but the results have not been there consistently. Oh well. Can't say I'm shocked that Bedard hasn't materialized as a top 5 starter.

Maybe he'll have a few good starts and the M's can trade him for a GG caliber CF with good offensive upside, a great lefty reliever, and three pretty good prospects.

:-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby kingmike74 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:02 pm

My thoughts exactly.

Has anyone dealt him recntly and if so, what did you get in return?
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Millcity_Maniac » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 pm

I threw him up on my trading block and honestly the only offer I got for him was Howie Kendricks and Kaz Matsui. I hate some of the people in my league. Dan Uggla starts at 2nd for me and that is what I got offered for Bedard its a buncha BS.

Thats why I was wondering what I could expect to get in return for him. That way I can make an offer myself. Although I can definately afford to hold onto him and just not start em until he gets his act together.
Millcity_Maniac
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:41 pm

noseeum wrote:
Yoda wrote:
noseeum wrote:I don't get the "what did you expect" comment. He's not hurt. If he's hurt, he's out. Fine.

If he's pitching, what you DON'T expect is a 4.50 ERA, which he hasn't approached in the last three years. Mediocrity is one thing. Completely stinking up the joint is another.

He's always hurt. He's a good pitcher but not a top pitcher like he was for 3 months last year.

Yoda, this is not even responding to my point. He's been hurt several times, yes.

But when he's pitched, he's had a 3.63 ERA for the past 3 years. Not just 3 months last year. 3 years. So no one should have EXPECTED a 4.5 ERA. Esp when he's moved to a pitcher's park. One could have expected him to miss a few weeks because of injury. One could have expected him to have to round back into form after missing a couple of weeks. But one should not have expected him to have a 6.54 ERA in his last six starts, which if you take out the Boston start balloons to 8.43 in 5 starts. He hasn't pitched that poorly since he's become a starter, or he obviously wouldn't even have a job. If he's hurt they should DL him. If he's not, he should be pitching better.

Hurt is better. He can be put on the DL. Crappy pitching while not being hurt stinks.

I am referring to people who thought that he would pitch like he did during the 3-4 month stretch last year. I think that most people who drafted him thought that they were getting a top 5 pitcher.

<-----------Not this guy though.
Last edited by Yoda on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kingmike74 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:53 pm

I took him in round 5 of a 10 man mixed thinking top 10 SP for sure and maybe top 5. Oh well, thankGod I have Veralnder.... 8-o
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers