WTH Bedard! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WTH Bedard!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WTH Bedard!

Postby kingmike74 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 am

Bedard just looks like sometimes he does not care.

Is Bedard forming a pettern here or still finding his way?
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WTH Bedard!

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:40 am

What did you expect? He really broke through in 07 but people who were expecting him to be absolutely dominant before his injury were not being realistic. He is still a very good pitcher but injuries will always be a big factor for him as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kingmike74 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:28 am

yeh I guess, I draftd him in rounf 5 so it is not like I over paid for him.

What SP would you take for him in a 1-1 deal other than the top 5 SP?
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby noseeum » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:34 am

I don't get the "what did you expect" comment. He's not hurt. If he's hurt, he's out. Fine.

If he's pitching, what you DON'T expect is a 4.50 ERA, which he hasn't approached in the last three years. Mediocrity is one thing. Completely stinking up the joint is another.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 am

noseeum wrote:I don't get the "what did you expect" comment. He's not hurt. If he's hurt, he's out. Fine.

If he's pitching, what you DON'T expect is a 4.50 ERA, which he hasn't approached in the last three years. Mediocrity is one thing. Completely stinking up the joint is another.

He's always hurt. He's a good pitcher but not a top pitcher like he was for 3 months last year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:06 am

I owned Bedard last year and I can say for certain that he was a top pitcher that year and it wasn't a fluke. Most American League scouts actually agreed that Bedard had the best stuff in the league--and that was when Santana still pitched for Minny. At his best, Bedard throws a 92-95 mph 4-seamer, an 88-92 mph cutter, a nasty curveball in the mid 70's, and a good changeup that he uses infrequently b/c of how good his curve is.

Last year he was really able to spot his fastball inside and outside while dropping the curve for strikes on both corners, and he almost always worked down in the zone. He was really unhittable, racking up the K's while giving up only 141 H in 182 IP, which is absurdly low.

This season, due to the minor injury earlier in the season, his stuff seems to be a little lacking. The curve is still there and has great movement, but he has problems locating it. The same is true of his fastball, which has lost maybe 2 mph (not really that significant). He's giving up roughly a hit per inning, walking more batters, and striking out fewer.

Nonetheless, I expect him to pull it together as he gets healthier.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Millcity_Maniac » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah I was definately expecting something a little more this year from him. I owned him last year and ended up spending a 5th rounder on him myself. I sat him last week when he played Boston becuase I didn't trust him. I started em last night becuase of his good game against the Sox. It seems he will pitch a good game and then get lit up the next. That seems to be his pattern this year. He led the league it strike outs last year and right now he has only got 49 strikeouts. I know he's missed some games but come on. Look at his starts for his last 4 starts:

His line for last night: 3.1 innings pitched, 7 hits, 5 runs, 4 of them ER and struck out 1 while walking 3.
His line against Boston on 5/28: 7 Innings pitched, 2 hits, No runs, No ER struck out 8 while walking 3.
His line against the Yankees on 5/23: 4.1 Innings, 8 hits, 9 runs, 9 ER, struck out 3 while walking 1.
His line against the Giants on 5/17: 8 innings, 5 hits, 2 Runs, 2 ER, struck out 10 while walking 1.

I am also wondering what I can expect to get for him in a deal. I looking to unload him, I just dont think he is worth the headache he is causing me. These past two weeks Ive seen my team ERA go from 2.98 to 3.62 and it's mostly becuase Bedard and Harang getting shelled a couple of times.
Millcity_Maniac
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:28 am

It doesn't help if you have a retarded pitching coach, even if you are hurt. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby noseeum » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 am

Yoda wrote:
noseeum wrote:I don't get the "what did you expect" comment. He's not hurt. If he's hurt, he's out. Fine.

He's always hurt. He's a good pitcher but not a top pitcher like he was for 3 months last year.

Yoda, this is not even responding to my point. He's been hurt several times, yes.

But when he's pitched, he's had a 3.63 ERA for the past 3 years. Not just 3 months last year. 3 years. So no one should have EXPECTED a 4.5 ERA. Esp when he's moved to a pitcher's park. One could have expected him to miss a few weeks because of injury. One could have expected him to have to round back into form after missing a couple of weeks. But one should not have expected him to have a 6.54 ERA in his last six starts, which if you take out the Boston start balloons to 8.43 in 5 starts. He hasn't pitched that poorly since he's become a starter, or he obviously wouldn't even have a job. If he's hurt they should DL him. If he's not, he should be pitching better.

Hurt is better. He can be put on the DL. Crappy pitching while not being hurt stinks.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:41 am

I owned Bedard last year and I can say for certain that he was a top pitcher that year and it wasn't a fluke.

I don't think anyone expected him to be this bad, but you can't "say for certain" that he wasn't just locked in last May-July. When a guy is a top 5 pitcher for a few years then you can "say for certain" that he's a top 5 pitcher when healthy and not a fluke. When a guy's a good pitcher with good stuff and has 3 elite months, he has a chance to be an elite pitcher. He also has a chance to be just a very good (think top-15) pitcher that is streaky.

But no one really knows exactly how he will perform, that's why they play the games and why everyone's not a millionaire from betting on baseball.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers