Waiver Wire? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waiver Wire?

Postby DaQ » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:36 pm

I think I know what the waiver wire is in real-life baseball, but what is it in Fantasy Bsaeball? In my league, there is a weekly FA draft where the team with the worst record gets 1st pick and the best team gets last pick (worst>>>best). But I have never played in a league with a waiver wire before-how does that work (in Fantasy baseball and in real life)?
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Waiver Wire?

Postby swarmee » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:50 pm

DaQ wrote:I think I know what the waiver wire is in real-life baseball, but what is it in Fantasy Bsaeball? In my league, there is a weekly FA draft where the team with the worst record gets 1st pick and the best team gets last pick (worst>>>best). But I have never played in a league with a waiver wire before-how does that work (in Fantasy baseball and in real life)?

Real life is too complicated. Look for a description of it on MLB.com.
Fantasy: The waiver wire consists of all players not on a fantasy baseball team. To get a player from it, you've got to make a waiver claim and choose which player you'll drop from your roster to make room. Since your league allows weekly roster changes, you'll need to comb the list of available players and see which ones will help you at the positions you're weak at. So it would go something like this:
Waiver players available: A Kennedy, L Ayala, K Farnsworth, C Patterson.

And let's say your second baseman has just gotten thrown in jail for a 6 month term for using steroids. So since A Kennedy is the only 2B on the available player list, you want to put in a waiver claim for him, drop the guy in jail, and fill your hole. And it will work for your team if no team with a higher waiver priority also puts in a claim on A Kennedy.

However, let's say that Rocky Biddle is stinking the joint up in Montreal, and you think that L Ayala is going to get the nod from Frank Robinson. You would cut an expendable player in your waiver claim to pick up Ayala. But you would want to do it before the change of closers is announced, because otherwise you most likely won't get him since you'll have a low priority from hanging out at the cafe.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers