How late is too late with pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How late is too late with pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How late is too late with pitching?

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:52 pm

If offensive players are left on the board that should have already been taken, how late is too late to draft your first pitcher? Normally, I start with pitching in the fourth, but in a current draft, my fourth and fifth picks are coming up, and there are some offensive players left who should have been taken in the second or third. A lot of teams are going heavy on the pitching, so it is already thinning out. Should I grab a coulple of studs and hold off on pitching until the sixth? (12-team, 5x5, Head to head league).

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: How late is too late with pitching?

Postby NZF » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:If offensive players are left on the board that should have already been taken, how late is too late to draft your first pitcher? Normally, I start with pitching in the fourth, but in a current draft, my fourth and fifth picks are coming up, and there are some offensive players left who should have been taken in the second or third. A lot of teams are going heavy on the pitching, so it is already thinning out. Should I grab a coulple of studs and hold off on pitching until the sixth? (12-team, 5x5, Head to head league).

Yes definitely grab the studs and hold off on the pitchers. Let the others fight over them.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:56 pm

I generally follow the same sort of plan that you laid out - pitching in the 4th or 5th.

Is it just 2-3 teams that are loading up on pitching or is it everybody? If it's just 2-3, I might grab some pitching. If it's everybody, I'd go hitting.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:02 pm

We're not quite to the end of the fourth round. Three teams have one pitcher, three teams have three pitchers, the other six have none. So it's not quite as bad as I was saying, but usually in my draft, most people stick to one (maybe a couple of teams take two) pitcher in the first four innings. Mussina is probably the best pitcher left.

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:33 pm

Tough choice with the half and half. Five teams will probably start taking pitching in the next couple of rounds, further diluting the pool. The other six will probably start taking offensive players. By taking pitchers, you let the teams heavy in pitching grab the offensive sleepers and have awesome teams. By taking offense, you make your pitching weaker than it would have been. Perhaps you should just stick to your rankings list and take the highest player available and see how it turns out.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:55 pm

Who's left for offense? Mussina's not bad for the end of the fourth. If you have and end of round pick, you're also getting a swing pick as well. Unless the offensive players are really great, can't pass up guys, I'd probably grab Mussina and the best offensive guy available.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:05 pm

I've tried to remain vague because some of the owners are Cafe members. let's just say that from my last draft (which were all knowledgable owners), there are four players left who were taken in the first three rounds. And seven more from the fourth.

Postby Casimir » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:If offensive players are left on the board that should have already been taken, how late is too late to draft your first pitcher? Normally, I start with pitching in the fourth, but in a current draft, my fourth and fifth picks are coming up, and there are some offensive players left who should have been taken in the second or third. A lot of teams are going heavy on the pitching, so it is already thinning out. Should I grab a coulple of studs and hold off on pitching until the sixth? (12-team, 5x5, Head to head league).

I'm trying a bit of a different strategy. In a 12 team, mixed, 5x5 ultra, I've been going after pitching and waiting to take offense. I traded my 1st & 8th for a 2nd & 3rd, and I'm banking on the dropoff in arms being greater than the dropoff in bats, and that a few bats will slip deeper into the draft. I'm also trying to be very careful about guys on the young side of their prime, or guys that may be overlooked due to poor performances last season.

So far I've got:

Wood
Vazquez
Hudson
BWagner
Pudge
Huff
BGiles
Furcal
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby red » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:38 pm

Casimir wrote:
I'm trying a bit of a different strategy. In a 12 team, mixed, 5x5 ultra, I've been going after pitching and waiting to take offense. I traded my 1st & 8th for a 2nd & 3rd, and I'm banking on the dropoff in arms being greater than the dropoff in bats, and that a few bats will slip deeper into the draft. I'm also trying to be very careful about guys on the young side of their prime, or guys that may be overlooked due to poor performances last season.

So far I've got:

Wood
Vazquez
Hudson
BWagner
Pudge
Huff
BGiles
Furcal

Man, if that's what you have after starting with pitching, good job. How did Giles fall that far?

To the original question: you can always take the better hitting now and get the pitchers later. If you missed out on the run for the stud Ps, not much to do now about it anyway. No sense in giving up a good hitter for a mediocre pitcher at this point. YOu can get mediocre pitchign any time.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Casimir » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:44 pm

red wrote:
Casimir wrote:

So far I've got:

Wood
Vazquez
Hudson
BWagner
Pudge
Huff
BGiles
Furcal

Man, if that's what you have after starting with pitching, good job. How did Giles fall that far?

To the original question: you can always take the better hitting now and get the pitchers later. If you missed out on the run for the stud Ps, not much to do now about it anyway. No sense in giving up a good hitter for a mediocre pitcher at this point. YOu can get mediocre pitchign any time.

Thanks for the compliment, but that's not the order that I took them in. The order was:
Wood, 18th
Vazquez, 23rd
BGiles, 26th
Hudson, 31st
BWagner, 47th
Huff, 50th
Furcal, 71st
Pudge, 74th
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Return to Baseball Leftovers