JOBA ISNT READY!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

JOBA ISNT READY!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: JOBA ISNT READY!!!

Postby ssjl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:00 pm

I am sick & tired of hearing about Joba.The guy hasn't pitched a full season yet & the Yankees are taking a guy who appeared to be even though its a small sample since he came up last year a very good setup man for Mariano & are starting him.Are you kidding me?I'm sorry I didn't post before last nights game.The guy has averaged 17.7 pitches per inning of work this year.A good start wouldn't get him into the 7th inning.Even if he pitched well they still need to go to the pen 2 or 3 times to close it out.AND BY THE WAY how does JOBA get a standing ovation & how does he have the BALLS to tip his cap after he left in the 3rd inning last night after pitching lousy.WHAT A JOKE.PUT HIM BACK IN THE PEN.one more thing with other pitchers,ENOUGH WITH THE PITCH COUNTS
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yanks924 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Wow you just lost your privelage to talk about Joba. You have no idea what your talking about. Of course he is going to have somewhat of a high pitch count average per inning because when you strike out more than a batter an inning your going to throw a lot of pitches...common sense. Second he did not pitch great but lousy? If you watched the game and saw that Stewart moved to second on a balk then later moved to 3rd on a past ball which molina should of caught no problem and then scored on a ground out (his only earned run) then I think your opinion would be different. He did walk himself into another jam but because his stuff is so good he was able to get out of it. Then had a 1, 2, 3 inning. Then walked a batter and was taken out. Now if thats lousy then what do you call Oliver Perez's 5 runs in .1 innings the other day? As for the whole tipping the cap thing, yea what a horrible person for tipping his cap to his fans lol.
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ssjl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:28 pm

I haven't lost any priviledge.If you have any sense of what is going on you would realize he belongs in the pen.He will ALWAYS have a high pitch count.How far do you think he is going in each game ? Two things Joba can't do efficiently-1 start games 2-pitch with bugs on him.
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:44 pm

yanks924 wrote:Wow you just lost your privelage to talk about Joba. You have no idea what your talking about. Of course he is going to have somewhat of a high pitch count average per inning because when you strike out more than a batter an inning your going to throw a lot of pitches...common sense. Second he did not pitch great but lousy? If you watched the game and saw that Stewart moved to second on a balk then later moved to 3rd on a past ball which molina should of caught no problem and then scored on a ground out (his only earned run) then I think your opinion would be different. He did walk himself into another jam but because his stuff is so good he was able to get out of it. Then had a 1, 2, 3 inning. Then walked a batter and was taken out. Now if thats lousy then what do you call Oliver Perez's 5 runs in .1 innings the other day? As for the whole tipping the cap thing, yea what a horrible person for tipping his cap to his fans lol.

4 BB and 62 pitches in 2.1 innings, even with the 1 ER, should qualify as mediocre if not lousy, and it definitely isn't good enough for him to deserve to tip his cap to the crowd. Ryan Howard has plenty of fans but does he deserve to tip his cap after advancing a runner to 3rd on a groundout?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby cannedcorn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:47 pm

It seems people are one side or the other on this topic. Just from watching ball for awhile Im sticking to back in the pen by mid July or earlier. 2.1 innings with those numbers.....thats just bad. Remember Im not just talking smack. I want the guy to do well, hell I need to him to do well. But Im not counting on it.
cannedcorn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GregJeffries » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 pm

Everywhere Joba has been before the Yankees he was a starter, and I believe he struck out maybe 10 per 9 IPs.
(with maybe a 2.5 era or something)

He obviously has been effective in the role before, but it does seem like they're rushing him/putting a lot of pressure on him.

(BTW, I HATE Joba....but think he's a pretty good pitcher...)
GregJeffries
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yanks924 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 pm

he is not going back to the pen lol. If he didn't have a pitch count limit he may have gone 5 innings only giving up that 1 earned run and you all would be like yea rough first inning but he got things under control.
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ssjl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm

If he doesn't go back to the pen pinstrippers will blow many games in the 8th before MO can take the mound in the 9th.
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jamesmarsden » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:08 pm

joba should be starting and like all the yankees young starters needs some time to get acclimated to the league. give him a break, he has what, one career start? we aren't going to make the playoffs this season, and we shouldn't, because we just aren't that good. it's not a big deal, we'll be back on top soon with some massive free agent signings and joba hopefully will be toward the top of the rotation winning world series games.
jamesmarsden
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby horste » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm

jamesmarsden wrote:joba should be starting and like all the yankees young starters needs some time to get acclimated to the league. give him a break, he has what, one career start? we aren't going to make the playoffs this season, and we shouldn't, because we just aren't that good. it's not a big deal, we'll be back on top soon with some massive free agent signings and joba hopefully will be toward the top of the rotation winning world series games.

That right there is the number one thing that is wrong with the Yankees. They buy their players. Sure they have had players that they developed (Jeter, Posada, Mo (Who are all old), and Cano) and are developing (Joba, Hughes, Kennedy, Melky). The philosophy of just buying their teams has worked in the past and works, but being from a small market team (Twins) and seeing how they develop their star athletes and trade for great prospects (and riping off many-a-teams as we do it) I feel like their is something flawed with the Yankee's approach.

Call me biased, call me a Yank Hater (matter of fact I am, along with the BoSox and any other East coast bias out there, and there is a lot of it), but seriously if money fixed all problems the Yankee's should have won a series in the last, oh, 7 years and counting.
horste
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates