Does punting saves work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does punting saves work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Does punting saves work?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:06 am

Grounded Polo wrote:I just punted saves in a cafe league because through 9 weeks, I only won the category once. My closers were only Mo Rivera and Brandon Lyon after Chad Cordero went down. I flipped Rivera and Lyon into Bedard and Cain so I'm satisfied. That league is 6x6 so it's different. I have Guthrie and Greinke in my RP slots also so that helped.

My rotation is Bedard, Hamels, Volquez, E. Santana, Cain, Greinke, McGowan, Guthrie, Laffey, and Pettite. With that many guys, I can basically pick and choose the matchups and still have more innings than my opponents.

That's exactly the same approach I've had in the 12 Angry Men league ever since last year. I exhaust the lion's share of my pitching slots to SP's (Bedard & Hamels are actually my top two anchors and Guthrie's a back-end starter too). I've accidentally stumbled upon having a closer seeing how I had no closers entering this year, but now I have Smoltz and Torres closing. Not according to plan at all.

Yes, you can win weeks and a league by punting saves in H2H (I did last year). Just make sure you have a strong offense and just as strong a pitching staff as you can muster.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyMafia » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:33 pm

I never plan on punting a category but for the last two years I have ended up punting saves in 14 team H2H and Roto league and won first in roto both times very easily. This year I ended up punting both W's and K's because I was so low in both and strong in ERA, WHIP and SV's and was going to concentrate on H2H and I am still in first place in Roto because I have 42 pts (14=era, 14=whip, 14=saves, 1=win, 1=K) and have 65 pts in hitting. I haven't even thought whether this works better with more teams in the league or is the same. You have to have very strong hitting to pull this off as well.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Russell James » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:57 pm

I don't like to completely punt saves in a H2H league because it will take the pressure off my opponent to start his closers. However, I don't draft closers like Borowski or Jones who have high ERAs.

In most of my leagues I drafted Soria and Capps. Most of the time I don't win saves, but both Soria and Capps keep my ERA low and forces my opponent to start his closers which can inflate his ERA is one were to struggle one night. The weeks I do win tend to be huge weeks for me.

I punted saves in a league last year and every guy would get one save on me and then bench his closers to keep his ERA and WHIP low. I still managed to win that league but that was thanks to having Prince Fielder, Alex Rodriguez and Han-Ram on the same team, not my pitching.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby imblotto » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Not saves, but in my head-to-head 5x5 weekly categories league I've gotten rid of all starters. My rotation was brutal and I had 5 closers. Ever since then, I've won 3 of the 5 pitching categories every week for 4 weeks (Saves, ERA, and WHIP). I actually even tied in wins one week with 3.
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 am

In my H2H 5x5 I punted saves completely. Instead I went out and grabbed Morrow, Linebrink, Moylan and Neshak (replaced with Okajima) in the final couple rounds of the draft. In a league with a moves cap to prevent streaming I have won ERA/WHIP/K/W almost every week (also helps I have Webb). While I have never been a fan of punting, you have to know your league rules and play it however works best for you.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Russell James wrote:
I punted saves in a league last year and every guy would get one save on me and then bench his closers to keep his ERA and WHIP low. I still managed to win that league but that was thanks to having Prince Fielder, Alex Rodriguez and Han-Ram on the same team, not my pitching.

huh? i start only closers to keep my era and whip low. its a lot easier to win these cats w closers than it is w SPs

punting saves is ok if you are getting goo dvalue when you trade them. dont just trade them to trade them. but if you are losing a majority of teh weeks then by all means go for it. i would recommend though if there are any other teams out there with the same strategy, then i would save one crappy closer, just to get that 1 save a week to win the cat. but if you are the only one, get rid of them for some good stuff

as said before, this works a lot better during teh draft, by just ignoring closers all together and continueing to get good bats
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers