Does punting saves work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does punting saves work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does punting saves work?

Postby krunchyfrogg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 pm

I play in a 12 team HTH league with 2 SP, 2 RP and 3 general P slots.

I have SP's I can slot into my RP categories, and I'm considering trading my closers for other upgrades on my team.

Guys who fall into the RP category but are starting for me are:

Greinke
Jon Sanchez
Brett Myers

Is this a sound strategy?

TIA
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Does punting saves work?

Postby Tavish » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:12 pm

It completely depends on how you are doing in other categories, how many points you are realistically giving up by dropping saves every week, and the value everyone has on closers (not only for how much you could get for yours, but what it would cost to acquire another one and constantly win the category instead of punting).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby rib217 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:18 pm

I don't think punting any category really ever is that great of a strategy. I'm in a roto league so it may be different but last year of the 7 offensive categories i punted K's so i only got 1 out of 12 possible points. I led the league in RBI's but for me it was equal to having a 6.5 in both categories. AVERAGE FOR BOTH CATEGORIES.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:29 pm

I'd say your chances of winning by punting saves are pretty small but it isn't impossible.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby interchange » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Punting saves can work in H2H, but I'd never go for that strategy right off the bad. If I ended up with 2 good closers by mid season, I'd consider trading them if I could address some serious needs. Otherwise, it's easy to compete if you manage the waiver wire well.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Howie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 pm

In h2h, why not? You only have to win 5 out of the 10 categories (including tiebrakers), so if punting saves helps out your Wins, Strikeouts, and ERA, for example, then go for it. ;-D
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:10 pm

I just punted saves in a cafe league because through 9 weeks, I only won the category once. My closers were only Mo Rivera and Brandon Lyon after Chad Cordero went down. I flipped Rivera and Lyon into Bedard and Cain so I'm satisfied. That league is 6x6 so it's different. I have Guthrie and Greinke in my RP slots also so that helped.

My rotation is Bedard, Hamels, Volquez, E. Santana, Cain, Greinke, McGowan, Guthrie, Laffey, and Pettite. With that many guys, I can basically pick and choose the matchups and still have more innings than my opponents.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ursa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:15 pm

In my 6x6 H2H we have weekly matchups, daily lineups and one point per category won each week. I punted saves so I have a 0-8-1 record in that cat. I have 4 holds guys and in that cat I'm 5-2-2. In other words, it's a near-disaster with a two-cat record of 5-10-3.

The one benefit of ignoring closers was that I was able to greatly strengthen my offense by using picks that would have gone on closers.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:23 pm

I punted saves in a way in my roto Cafe league. I'm still trying to attain them but I traded BJ Ryan because he wasn't worth the extra point he was getting me. I don't want to go into the trade because I turned it into something more with another trade, but I think I made the right move to trade away that 1-2 points in saves to move up in HR and RBI. It's going to be tough to win a roto league with a 1-2 point category but I've already gained 20 points or so. Part of that has to do with my SP's not sucking and being healthy too.

Anyway,the point is that I think it's perfectly fine to try to move up by punting saves if you aren't getting that many in the first place and have one decent closer that you can get good value for. If you're in the middle of the pack I'd probably stay on course.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:27 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I just punted saves in a cafe league because through 9 weeks, I only won the category once. My closers were only Mo Rivera and Brandon Lyon after Chad Cordero went down. I flipped Rivera and Lyon into Bedard and Cain so I'm satisfied. That league is 6x6 so it's different. I have Guthrie and Greinke in my RP slots also so that helped.

My rotation is Bedard, Hamels, Volquez, E. Santana, Cain, Greinke, McGowan, Guthrie, Laffey, and Pettite. With that many guys, I can basically pick and choose the matchups and still have more innings than my opponents.

I agree. Punting saves in a H2H league is fine. I punted saves in my league and I'm in first place. I punted the category during the draft though. My league added a new setting this year (Innings Pitched), which I believed made SP a little more valuable than Closers. Closer will get 2-4IP a week, a starting pitcher can get anywhere from 5-14.
My rotation is: Kazmir, Volquez, Dice-K, Zambrano, Halladay, Hudson, Duchscherer (RP), Oswalt, Cain, Pedro.

I have one closer - Sherrill and that's because the second place team has a similar strategy, but traded away ALL his closers. W/ my one closer I can easily beat him in saves.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers