What to do when your fiance leaves you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What to do when your fiance leaves you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do when your fiance leaves you?

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:30 pm

So my fiance left me about 2-3 weeks ago. The hardest thing I am dealing with is being bored. What do people do to stay busy. A lot of my friends have their own lives and don't have many hours to sneak away and do things. I kind of want to stay away from the bars because I really just don't want to drink my problems away and I really don't want to fall victim to a bar girl.

Also, where do people meet girls at? I've been out of the game for so long, I have no idea. I am even thinking of taking some classes at the local college thinking I'll meet some people. I am 24 by the way.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do when your fiance leaves you?

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:40 pm

Phatferd wrote:So my fiance left me about 2-3 weeks ago. The hardest thing I am dealing with is being bored. What do people do to stay busy. A lot of my friends have their own lives and don't have many hours to sneak away and do things. I kind of want to stay away from the bars because I really just don't want to drink my problems away and I really don't want to fall victim to a bar girl.

Also, where do people meet girls at? I've been out of the game for so long, I have no idea. I am even thinking of taking some classes at the local college thinking I'll meet some people. I am 24 by the way.

yikes, tough break. at least from the sound of it, it seems you are over the broken hearted part.

my suggestion would be to join something...any type of club, activity, church (if you're religious at all) and you're likely to find something. going back to school is a great idea to meet a few new people and even better yourself in the process. what about the workplace? im sure there are a few ladies around who are single.

worse comes to worst, you can always look up some "casual encounters" on craigslist.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Yeah like our slippery friend Snakes said, I would start doing activities that require socializing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:44 pm

I lived this about a year and a half ago, for anyone who remembers. It sucks. I drank heavily, brought girls home from the bar, stopped going to work. It was an absolute mess. Then I finally decided to get my crap together. I wound up moving back down towards the city, about two hours south of Albany where I was living at the time, got into a new graduate program, found a new teaching job, and reconnected with a lot of people I hadn't seen in awhile. I meet girls everywhere: work, the grocery store, bookstore, the bar, parties and other get togethers, grad. class; anywhere with people. You just have to be willing to meet people, which you honestly may not be for awhile. Anyway, if you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me, I'm more than willing to talk, cause when I went through it it was nearly deabilitating an really screwed up my life for some time. What you need to know is, you'll be fine. I promise. I a 24 by the way (since we're seemingly sharing that also :-D).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby J35J » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 pm

Consider yourself a lucky man! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby fezzik » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 pm

Work, although that's always a bit tricky...I wouldn't recommend that unless you find someone there that you think is just really really awesome.

There always seem to be attractive, intelligent women at upscale health-conscious grocery stores...like Whole Foods.

Local businesses...could be the girl you're buying a cell phone from, etc.

Someone who works at a place you tend to hang out at a decent amount of time...this could be anywhere really.

If you're only 24, the college idea you mentioned could be a good one.

Through friends...they may know someone who they think could be good for you...yada yada yada.

Or join a club that involves socializing like others have said...I prefer the Whole Foods ladies myself. :-D

Hope that gives you a nice start. ;-D

I'm sorry to hear about your loss...having a plan for the future suddenly thrown into turmoil can really suck, but you'll get through it. There are plently of women out there, and doubtless there are some who can make you happy. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 pm

J35J wrote:Consider yourself a lucky man! ;-D

I would consider that highly debatable. :^
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:10 pm

A little levity for this serious situation? O:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 pm

What did you do before you met her?

I have trouble getting together with friends too. Despite them having crazy shifts and families, they generally like to have a guys night at least once a month, so I try to be proactive in planning activities. Always good to have something to look forward to. Maybe start planning a ridiculous live fantasy football draft or regular poker nights.

Do you have a dog? At least there's a walk waiting for you everyday. And of course popular opinion is that dog walking can help you meet girls.

Good advice on trying to find group activities. I had no trouble finding a hiking group when I moved to a new place and I'm thinking of looking into a Toastmasters group. They're in pretty much every city.

Also try getting your baseball leagues to do live drafts with subsequent live events like an All-Star Game party, end of year celebration, and winter meeting.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Unless you are dead-set on you current job, find a new one in a lrage city (1,000,000+) and then do a bunch of teh stuff other people listed.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk