Need a little help...Starting to fall behind. WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Need a little help...Starting to fall behind. WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need a little help...Starting to fall behind. WHIR

Postby skjelstrom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:37 pm

My team looks like this. Its a 10 team roto with weekly position changing. I'm currently in 3rd, but I just in the past two weeks came down from a huge lead in first.

Batting
C Dioner Navarro (Just kinda of riding his hot streak, or at least a hot streak considering the options)
1B Todd Helton
2B Brian Roberts
3B Garrett Atkins (What is up with him? He has been doing terrible)
SS Hanley Ramirez (I sure hope he will bounce back from slump)
OF Ryan Braun
OF Carlos Beltran
OF Jason Bay
UTIL Jacoby Ellsbury
Bench Carlos Guillan (Benched until done slumping)
Bench Joe Crede
Bench Ivan Rodriguez
Bench Jay Bruce

Pitching
SP Zach Greinke
SP Erik Bedard
RP Brad Lidge
RP Huston Street (Should I try and do better?)
P John Smoltz (Struggling, what should I do with him?)
P (Just took Matsuzaka out haven't decided yet.)
P Tim Lincecum
Bench Matt Capps (Do you think I could do better?)
Bench Rafael Soriano (Will he ever do good or will smoltz take closer? Should I bother with him)
DL Daisuke Matsuzaka (On DL and struggling with control before going on DL, should this be of concern?)

Any suggestions are welcome. Actually PLEASE make suggestions or give me advice in some way. Maybe inform me of any players that might be on the FA or Waiver that I could pick up as a booster.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need a little help...Starting to fall behind. WHIR

Postby BrixenIvy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:07 pm

CAtcher is a notoriously weak fantasy position; if you don't have Soto, Martin or a few others, it's best to ride the hot hand or trade-up if possible.

Todd Helton is solid when healthy. The Rockie line-up is in shambles however, and I'm not sure if he is going to produce like he has in the past with Holiday and Tulowitski on the shelf. Still very solid at this position, IMO.

Brian Roberts is going to be the guy that helps you win the SB category for your team. His power #'s are where they should be (~15-17HRS/YR), but his AVG right now is low. He should heat it up over the next few weeks and get that average to where it should be, around 285-290. Roberts may be trade bait come July, as well.

Garrett Atkins is one of two guys that opposing pitchers have to be concerened with in the Rockie line-up. Right now he's pressing a bit trying to do too much. His struggles have coincided with Holiday's trip to the DL. Atkins struggles may continue until he can get some protection behind him or until opposing pitchers are forced to pitch to him. The way the Rockies have been scoring lately - scored 5+ runs in 4 of their last 16 games - it is unlikely that Atkins will produce monster numbers until Holiday comes back and the guys at the top of the order get on. Atkins is still one of the better 3B options out there, imo.

Hanley Ramirez is going to heat-up again. I wouldn't worry to much here; the Marlins are loaded with young talent (particularly hitting) and Ramirez has hot better since they dropped him from lead-off to the 3 spot in the order.

Ryan Braun is a fantasy stud and hit machine. If you are in a league that has him down for both 3B and OF, than you have a nice problem on your hands - one that can create some flexibility and open the doors for a possible trade (Atkins?)

I have never really been a big fan of Carlos Beltran. It seems to me that he is more of a "I'll play when I wanna" type guy than anything. You can forget about SBs with Beltran for the most part, and I don;t think he is going to hit 300 either. The HRs and RBI #'s should be strong. He is still one of your better sources for the aforementioned HR and RBI categories.

As much as I don't like Beltran, I love Jason Bay 10 fold. His #'s across the board are strong and right now he's starting to hit like we know hecan. Jack Wilson just came of the DL (he usually racks up hits and should be on base often) and McCloth is having a very fine season protecting Bay in the BO. I think Bay's and Beltran's #'s will look very much the same come year's end. However, Beltran is more likely to bring back more in a trade. With Jay Bruce ridding the bench (He's starting for you now, right?) on your team, you could afford to trade Beltran , IMO.

Ellisbery is alright, although not really a fantasy stud. He is better suited as a back-up in fantasy, imo.

Jay Bruce needs to be starting. He is as good as advertised.

Grienke is the best pitcher on a team that pretty much can't hit. May be a trade bait in a package deal.

Bedard will do better than his slow start has indicated he might. Seattle is a nice place to pitch, and if he's healthy he should start striking batters out. If the K's aren't pilling-up buy July, look for Bedard to head back to the DL by then if not sooner.

Smoltz, Lidge and Street are fine; Soriano is not going to close and Matt Capps isn't going to get a whole lot of chances, but should still end up with 2X Svs. See if Franklin or Torres is available and drop Soriano.

Lincecum and Dice-K are Studs. No need to do work here.

Not knowing how your league is set-up (categories) it's hard to say what you need. However, you are probably losing the W, L, K, SV, ERA and WHIP categories on the pitching side. THe HR, RBI, R and AVG on the hitting side, to name a few.

If and when you reply to this post, I'll make further suggestions for your team. If not, I hope the information I presented helps you out a bit.

Take Care

-E-
BrixenIvy
T-Ball Trainer

Postby cstorms » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:27 am

Capps is solid, I would not have him on the bench. I think your main problems are at C 1b 2b and 3b..see if u can package the rockies together. I drafted both Helton and Atkins at the beginning of the season and i traded them both. Just recently traded Atkins for P.Fielder (crazy)...atkins should fetch you some solid hitting. If you throw in roberts you could potentially get a very solid 3 for 3 trade, and just pick up a hot catcher, like u are now. good luck
cstorms
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby skjelstrom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 pm

I put Ivan back in Catcher, and dropped Navarro.

Picked up Danks and Duchscherer putting Duchscherer in for Smoltz and completely dropping Smoltz considering he is out for the season.

Right now I am thinking of adjusting my roster to make a big trade. Tell me what you think.

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B Todd Helton
2B Brian Roberts
3B Ryan Braun
SS Hanley Ramirez
OF Jay Bruce
OF Jacoby Ellsbury
OF Jason Bay
UTIL Carlos Guillan
Bench Joe Crede

Trade material: Carlos Beltran, Garret Atkins (Possiblity of Todd Helton and/or Brian Roberts if I can get a good bat at their positions)

SP Zach Greinke
SP Erik Bedard
RP Huston Street
RP Brad Lidge
P Matt Capps
P Justin Duchscherer
P Tim Lincecum
Bench John Danks
Bench (Dropping Soriano, but don't know who to pick up.)
DL Daisuke Matsuzaka

Trade material: Zach Greinke (Especially if he gets another good outing next time up, or should I trade him now?), Matsuzaka (once off the DL)

What do you think of my idea? Is a good idea or bad? and what should I be looking for in return for those players?

I am also kind of looking to get a very solid and good bat that will put up the HR #'s and a top tier pitcher too? Do you think I could get that?

Thanks in advance!
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby skjelstrom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Also if Bedard doesn't start doing better Im putting him out there for trade too. If possible.....
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:39 am

come on guys help me out......
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager