Most under noticed beast this season? (He is in SD) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most under noticed beast this season? (He is in SD)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most under noticed beast this season? (He is in SD)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:25 pm

The best baseball is played out West, people, and Adrian Gonzalez is living proof of that. B-)

I thought Gonzo, if he hit in any other ballpark than Petco half of the year, he'd be a shoo-in for 40 HR as soon as this year. He's been hitting no-doubters even at Petco, but have to wonder if and when the paltry lineup protection in terms of power, will rear its ugly head over the course of the season, as well as the Petco factor.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:58 pm

argh... can´t believe that in several leagues with CI I went with SWISHER over A-Gon.

Really regretting that stupid move :,-(
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:16 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:SWISHER over A-Gon.

8-o
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Precise » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:The best baseball is played out West, people, and Adrian Gonzalez is living proof of that. B-)

I thought Gonzo, if he hit in any other ballpark than Petco half of the year, he'd be a shoo-in for 40 HR as soon as this year. He's been hitting no-doubters even at Petco, but have to wonder if and when the paltry lineup protection in terms of power, will rear its ugly head over the course of the season, as well as the Petco factor.

People kept saying that last year, but he just kept on hitting on his way to a 100 30 100 season.

100 40 120 .300 is very attainable at this point. He had like a 6-week period last season where he slumped and I was able to buy-low in a couple of my leagues because people overestimated the petco/line-up protection factors.
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Precise wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:The best baseball is played out West, people, and Adrian Gonzalez is living proof of that. B-)

People kept saying that last year, but he just kept on hitting on his way to a 100 30 100 season.

100 40 120 .300 is very attainable at this point. He had like a 6-week period last season where he slumped and I was able to buy-low in a couple of my leagues because people overestimated the petco/line-up protection factors.

I remember that slump. It was very long and something that should be kept in mind for this year as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:argh... can´t believe that in several leagues with CI I went with SWISHER over A-Gon.

I had Konerko ranked over him. Stupid mistake. :-t
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Amazing Oopah wrote:argh... can´t believe that in several leagues with CI I went with SWISHER over A-Gon.

I had Konerko ranked over him. Stupid mistake. :-t

I tried to tell you Sim. I tried hard. :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tiki1311 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm

Last year's slump was BRUTAL! I was a happy AGon owner loving the fact that I was getting top tier production (.300 ave, HRs, RBIs) out of a FA pick up. Then the slump hit in early June. Over the next 2.5 months, his AVE plummeted to .260, his power dried up - 4 HRs total in Jun and Jul, and he was stiking out like he recieved salary bonuses for it. He didn't recover until mid August, or right about the time that I had finally given up on him.

You can only tell yourself "Ride out the storm, the slump will break. He has too sweet of a swing to stay this bad" so many times. Eventually the 0-4 with 2 or 3 K's will drive you crazy.

My reccommendation = Sell High, before THE SLUMP kills your team.
Tiki1311
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:45 pm

He was real underrated going into the draft, all the signs were there for a big breakout season.

He'd hit for a great AVG too if it wasn't for Petco

Home - .255

Away - .336

He has an OPS of 1.021 away from Petco.

To have 54 RBI in that crappy lineup is unbelievable. He's on pace for around 45 HR, I think he finishes with 40.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:He was real underrated going into the draft, all the signs were there for a big breakout season.

He'd hit for a great AVG too if it wasn't for Petco

Home - .255

Away - .336

Ah, you beat me to it, but yes, the home/away splits are polarizing. Surely, it's not a damning sign, but as I said in the Konerko/Gonzalez/Pena thread, I thought 30 HR was a nice safety line for Gonzo, with the extra upside of bumping up his HR total marginally, should he do a greater deal of damage away. The fact he's hit for power at Petco is encouraging, but I'd be mindful of the home/away splits. That said, now might be a good time to trade him for an elite upgrade for whatever fills your team's needs best. Not saying he's a sell high, of course, but the timing is there to shop him for even better value.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers