Does the lost of Ortiz mean I should just give up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does the lost of Ortiz mean I should just give up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Does the lost of Ortiz mean I should just give up?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:02 am

I am in a 14 team league and it is very competitive so I don't know why I am getting bitched out about my question. I understand that I should not give up just because of the injury to Ortiz but all of this talk of trading players and picking up this guy has no bearing on how I will do because in my league we cannot make trades and since this is a very competitive league, I will have to mix and match from week to week until he returns. I know it sucks but this is the way the league has been ran for years. I just joined it about 5 yrs ago and this is how things have been done. After I made this thread I saw an interview with Francona on ESPN and he sounded upbeat about the situation though so maybe I may have jumped the gun sorry. Yall mentioned some guys that are out or were out in the year. Great point but Ortiz is the 1st major guy to go on the DL for more than 15 days. By major, I don't mean Furcal, Sheffield etc.. If Soriano, Utley or someone like Pujols had this happen this would be comparable. I still own guys like Utley, Aramis Ramirez so if I can weather the storm and not get behind by too much I still have a shot when Big Papi returns.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:10 am

You're not getting "bitched at." Your getting your balls busted for being a little whiner in your OP. "Boo hoo, my guy got hurt. I'm just going to give up." You need to understand that guys go on the DL every year. It's not like everyone else hasn't lost a key player to injuries. But instead of crying about throwing in the towel, you probably should have simply asked for replacement recommendations.

Oh, and all that stuff about your special league settings; probably should have put that in the OP as well.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:I am in a 14 team league and it is very competitive so I don't know why I am getting bitched out about my question. I understand that I should not give up just because of the injury to Ortiz but all of this talk of trading players and picking up this guy has no bearing on how I will do because in my league we cannot make trades and since this is a very competitive league, I will have to mix and match from week to week until he returns. I know it sucks but this is the way the league has been ran for years. I just joined it about 5 yrs ago and this is how things have been done. After I made this thread I saw an interview with Francona on ESPN and he sounded upbeat about the situation though so maybe I may have jumped the gun sorry. Yall mentioned some guys that are out or were out in the year. Great point but Ortiz is the 1st major guy to go on the DL for more than 15 days. By major, I don't mean Furcal, Sheffield etc.. If Soriano, Utley or someone like Pujols had this happen this would be comparable. I still own guys like Utley, Aramis Ramirez so if I can weather the storm and not get behind by too much I still have a shot when Big Papi returns.

Again with the "woe is me" crap. Fine, you can't trade, you didnt mention that, but whatever. Ortiz is still not the first guy to be out an extended period. Its fine that you want to complain, but you arent the only one whos lost a player, and Ortiz is not the first "major" guy to be out more then 15 days. Arod (the universal top pick) missed 20 games so far this season. Rollins (a top 5 pick) has missed 22. Peavy (top 8) might miss 6-8 starts. Holliday (top 8) has already missed 13 games.

Thats 4 guys who were drafted before Ortiz who have been down for significant time, and I would argue that they are all more valuable then Ortiz unless you are in a league that requires a true DH, since they all required someone at their own position to replace them. Personally I think that Furcal (22 games so far) is more valuable in a 14 team league as well. I also think people who have lost Tulo for half a season have a pretty legit beef

Look, you are more then entitled to complain, thats the beauty of this forum. But if you want to suggest that you are going to quit your league just because you lost a player to injury then you should expect any abuse that is aimed your way.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby XFactah416 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:49 am

Problem is, when your asking if you should give up, it means that your just conceding defeat or something.... unless you have confidence issues on your own team and like reassurance from everyone here. There's no reason to give up anyway.. unless this is a keeper and you can get some young stud on your roster.

Since you have Utley, I would assume that your team is fine.. especially since everyone else's offense isn't as good as yours.
XFactah416
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 84)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:I am in a 14 team league and it is very competitive so I don't know why I am getting bitched out about my question. I understand that I should not give up just because of the injury to Ortiz but all of this talk of trading players and picking up this guy has no bearing on how I will do because in my league we cannot make trades and since this is a very competitive league, I will have to mix and match from week to week until he returns. I know it sucks but this is the way the league has been ran for years. I just joined it about 5 yrs ago and this is how things have been done. After I made this thread I saw an interview with Francona on ESPN and he sounded upbeat about the situation though so maybe I may have jumped the gun sorry. Yall mentioned some guys that are out or were out in the year. Great point but Ortiz is the 1st major guy to go on the DL for more than 15 days. By major, I don't mean Furcal, Sheffield etc.. If Soriano, Utley or someone like Pujols had this happen this would be comparable. I still own guys like Utley, Aramis Ramirez so if I can weather the storm and not get behind by too much I still have a shot when Big Papi returns.

And how would we know your league does not allow trading? You need to let people know about these custom features. It is impossible for us to decipher custom options in leagues without being told what they are. We simply give advice base on typical league settings.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:05 pm

You're not backing yourself to win without one player (albeit a top pick)?

Have confidence in your abilities. Please.

There's always a way to re-jigger your roster to cover for injuries.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby theplayer11 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:I left him, Schilling, Ray, Zumaya ect. out since we knew they were hurt coming into the season. Not quite the same, but still, thats a good point.

Lackey
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:49 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:I left him, Schilling, Ray, Zumaya ect. out since we knew they were hurt coming into the season. Not quite the same, but still, thats a good point.

Lackey

Curt Schilling started the season on the DL, I can't believe you all forgot that one with all the Boston hoopla. X-I
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers