Does the lost of Ortiz mean I should just give up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does the lost of Ortiz mean I should just give up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Does the lost of Ortiz mean I should just give up?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:58 am

Assuming a 25 man roster, I don't see how losing one player would kill your team. That would only prove how bad your team is and you didn't have much of a chance to begin with. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby abrage22 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

all i know is this sucks :-C
they said he more than likely won't need the surgery. at least i still have mccann, bay,wright,teix,c lee,hamilton,roberts,furcal and of course bruce all in 12 team league
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mclusky » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:06 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:I feared the worst yesterday, although I didn't think it would be possible, Ortiz may be out for the rest of the season. I am currently in 1st place and my offense has really put me there. Ortiz is not the sole reason because he did struggle the 1st month. Barmes should come off of the DL next week so I will put him as my DH. Could he be enough of a stopgate until Papi comes back, if he eventually comes back. Holliday and Hawpe will be coming back and that should help his offensive production a little. I am not expecting him to put up Big Papi numbers I am just hoping if there is a chance Papi comes back he can help stop the bleeding. I have a pretty comfortable lead in most of the offensive categories, so I am praying for the best.

If it makes you feel better, I have Ortiz in a 10-team AL Only league where Mike Lamb and David Dellucci are currently the two best FA hitters. I'm changing my team's name to "Stop: Lamber Time."
mclusky
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Champion

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 am

Expect him to be out for two months and maybe the rest of the season. It has been rumored Dunn may be on the move to replace his bat but Brandon Moss will temporarily replace him with Manny going to DH.

You can weather this storm. Trade from a strength (maybe you have some elite SP's who are overacheiving or maybe you have J Bruce who you can sell high on) and try to plug this hole. Pick up Carlos Gonzalez if he hasnt been snagged. With some key pickups, you can stay afloat.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Matthias » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:25 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Expect him to be out for two months and maybe the rest of the season. It has been rumored Dunn may be on the move to replace his bat

Dunn? Really? That's interesting... have a link?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 am

Matthias wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Expect him to be out for two months and maybe the rest of the season. It has been rumored Dunn may be on the move to replace his bat

I beileve Stark mentioned Dunn and Holliday as possibilities on the ESPN radio earlier. I was in my car and wasn't really paying attention, so i might be wrong on that.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Matthias » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 am

thedude wrote:
Matthias wrote:

I beileve Stark mentioned Dunn and Holliday as possibilities on the ESPN radio earlier. I was in my car and wasn't really paying attention, so i might be wrong on that.

Well, they're both due to become FAs soon so that makes them candidates to be traded... is there anything beyond that?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 pm

SIGN BONDS! WWWWOOOOOOOO ;-D
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Merlin401 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Matthias wrote:I would take it as a sign that you should retire from fantasy sports.

Drop all of your players, change your team name to, "Hopeless", and commit to wear black until the ASB.

Lol, this is about what I was going to post. Yes definitely despite being in first place you should just give up because of this one injury. I've already had major injuries to Rollins, Granderson, Gallardo, DiceK, Posada, Chad Cordero and Figgins on the same team. What can you do?
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fezzik » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 pm

I have Holliday and Ortiz in one of my leagues...I'm in third for now and plan on moving up in their absence...mainly because I am stacked at 1B having acquired Teixeira earlier in the season and have Bradley/Bruce/Cust platooning my last OF and Util spot...solid choices all.

However, if your team lacks depth...and you lack the mental fortitude to lead your team to victory...wave that white flag...toss in that towel...but what will that teach you? How to quit?! How to roll over?! Drop and give me twenty soldier! :-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers