Will the Rays win the AL East? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Rays win the AL East?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the Rays win the division?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 50

Re: Will the Rays win the AL East?

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:14 am

AussieDodger wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Jays have a better pythagorean record than the Rays even without Vernon Wells. I wouldn't be counting Toronto out of winning the division, though I still can't believe they are content with the awful Shannon Stewart in left field. If they had actually signed Barry Bonds a month and a half ago when they released Frank, they would probably be 1st already. The pitching has been that good.

Of course I don't see the Yankees being out of it either. They can still pay for solutions to most of their problems, and will be happy to do so.

And Boston is still Boston. Maybe they'll actually have the guts to sign Barry Bonds.

How did I know you'd say something about Toronto being in it? :-D
They could pull an '05 White Sox, but I don't think so. :-t

Well according to this, they should be very much players this season: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php

Their pitching (Halladay, Burnett, McGowan, Marcum, Litsch) is insane, and they are still 3 games over .500 without their best offensive player.

I like the look of Tampa's team, but it is still very early to say anything.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:58 am

The Rays won't win the division this year, but they could be a huge threat in a few years. This year, they don't have nearly enough depth, especially in the bullpen and rotation....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby KrunK » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:24 am

I think they have the potential, but it's a long, long season and they've got a very young team. I'm not sure about this year, but they will definitely be a contender from here on out.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 am

I am rooting for them to hold on in the East, but the chances are pretty slim.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dweenmachine » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:32 am

mweir145 wrote:The Jays have a better pythagorean record than the Rays even without Vernon Wells. I wouldn't be counting Toronto out of winning the division, though I still can't believe they are content with the awful Shannon Stewart in left field. If they had actually signed Barry Bonds a month and a half ago when they released Frank, they would probably be 1st already. The pitching has been that good.

Of course I don't see the Yankees being out of it either. They can still pay for solutions to most of their problems, and will be happy to do so.

And Boston is still Boston. Maybe they'll actually have the guts to sign Barry Bonds.

Boston will NEVER sign Barry Bonds. Not only does Barry hate Boston, but Boston fans HATE Barry Bonds :-P

Back to the point - I don't think the Rays can win the division. I could see them potentially coming in second and perhaps getting a wildcard berth, but I don't think they can edge out the Sox this year. Like others have said, you can't count the Yankees out either... they're always a few overpriced moves away of contending.
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:53 pm

dweenmachine wrote:

Boston will NEVER sign Barry Bonds. Not only does Barry hate Boston, but Boston fans HATE Barry Bonds :-P

Back to the point - I don't think the Rays can win the division. I could see them potentially coming in second and perhaps getting a wildcard berth, but I don't think they can edge out the Sox this year. Like others have said, you can't count the Yankees out either... they're always a few overpriced moves away of contending.

I think Boston will do what they have to do to win the division. If that includes signing Barry Bonds in their opinion, they will do it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:01 pm

I give the Rays a decent shot at winning the A.L. East. There is a ton of raw talent on that team, pitching and hitting. The one thing I really like about them, is their defense. Kinda reminds me of the Rockies of last year, fielding everything in sight. They will need the middle of their order to turn up the power a little, and at least one more SP to step up, but that division will be up in the air late into the season.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Injuries permitting, they can, but not sure if they will.
The Yankees are going to need a huge turn around in SP to compete, and Papi is a big crater in the Boston hitting.
It is quite possible that Papi will decide the whole division.

Like Crawford :-o

They say his knee and hammy aren't serious, but a hampering on his legs is not good news for the Rays
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:56 pm

j24jags wrote:They don't have the pitching or hitting to do it. They have three good starters (Kazmir, Shields, Garza), after that it's a question mark. The pen is mediocre, and they really need either Longoria or Pena to start mashing. They have the speed (Crawford/Upton), but they lack the pop.

Edwin Jackson has been solid, and Sonnanstine has the skill set to be a good pitcher. Remember the days when Jackson was a superstar prospect for LA? He's still only 24, and he's shown flashes of brilliance this year.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Field » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:59 pm

One thing to note is that the Rays have played by far the fewest away games in the East with only 24 and they are only 11-13 in those contests. The Sox have played 34 road games, Jays 34, Yanks 31, and Baltimore 29.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers