100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

RHP Chris Carpenter Updates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RHP Chris Carpenter Updates

Postby YardBirds » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:01 am

jdsun1 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Carpenter, who hasn't made a major-league start since opening day 2007, will begin a rehab assignment Sunday, and that starts the countdown for his return to the Cardinals' rotation in early August. The righthander and former Cy Young Award winner will start for the Cardinals' Class AA affiliate in Springfield, Mo.

link

So is he a must-add in all formats right now or should we wait for a more definite timetable?

The man hasn't pitched a real MLB game in 2 years. I would wait for him to make a few starts and see how his "stuff" is before making any moves. I don't think he will have his wits about him till next season, but if you want to take a flier I don't see why not. Is he a must add in all formats... I say no.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sho Nuff » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 am

My only hope is he does not get hurt this year.

Drafted him with my 20th round pick (we have a rule where you can keep someone you draft in rounds 20-25 and you only lose that round's pick the next year...but you have to keep them on your roster all year long).
If he does well this year...its just gravy. Just stay healthy and return strong next year as he would be my 20th round pick.
Sho Nuff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby flooredyas » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Here's a link about yesterday's outing-

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp

4 innings, 1 hit, some control problems.
I would not rush to grab him personally.
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckmonkey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 am

Pitching in front of a sellout crowd of 8,743 at Hammons Field, Carpenter worked four impressive innings and gave up only one hit for Double-A Springfield. While he baffled the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, he struggled with his location throughout the evening, issuing four walks.

But, as Carpenter admitted, the main concern of the Cardinals' front office -- his Cy Young arm -- felt fine during and after his first game action since undergoing Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery on July 24, 2007.

"We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning when I wake up," Carpenter said. "I was just happy to get back out there and compete again."

Carpenter threw 62 pitches over four innings -- around the number the club was looking for -- but only 33 for strikes. Though he was disappointed with his command, his fastball topped out around 92 mph, according to the radar gun in right field, and his breaking balls possessed wicked movement that kept his opponents missing.

Doesn't look bad. Sure the walks are not great, but 1 hit in 4 innings is impressive for someone who has been out with major surgery so long.

He hit 92 MPH also.

Not bad considering how long he's been out.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates