RHP Chris Carpenter Updates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

RHP Chris Carpenter Updates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RHP Chris Carpenter Updates

Postby kingman33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Is Carpenter worth stashing?

Jun 2 The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports St. Louis Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (elbow) threw 41 pitches during a simulated game Saturday, May 31.

May 31 Carpenter will throw in simulated games for the first time on Saturday.
Advice: The Cardinals are taking a conservative approach with Carpenter, the 2005 NL Cy Young Award winner, because there's no urgency to get him back in the rotation. He's had what Mozeliak referred to as a ``very smooth'' rehab thus far, and the team has forecast a return around the All-Star break.

May 31 RHP Chris Carpenter (elbow surgery), RHP Brad Thompson (elbow inflammation) and RHP Jason Isringhausen (lacerated right hand) are scheduled to throw in simulated games on Saturday at the Cardinals' minor league complex in Jupiter, Fla.
kingman33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: RHP Chris Carpenter Updates

Postby jdsun1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 am

kingman33 wrote:Is Carpenter worth stashing?

Jun 2 The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports St. Louis Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (elbow) threw 41 pitches during a simulated game Saturday, May 31.

May 31 Carpenter will throw in simulated games for the first time on Saturday.
Advice: The Cardinals are taking a conservative approach with Carpenter, the 2005 NL Cy Young Award winner, because there's no urgency to get him back in the rotation. He's had what Mozeliak referred to as a ``very smooth'' rehab thus far, and the team has forecast a return around the All-Star break.

May 31 RHP Chris Carpenter (elbow surgery), RHP Brad Thompson (elbow inflammation) and RHP Jason Isringhausen (lacerated right hand) are scheduled to throw in simulated games on Saturday at the Cardinals' minor league complex in Jupiter, Fla.

The very smooth rehab is a positive sign and I would continue to monitor the situation, but it might not be time to stash just yet. Personally Im going to wait until its close to time for Barmes to come back and then make the DL switch.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:59 am

From KFFL:
Jun 17 The Associated Press reports St. Louis Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (elbow) had his elbow examined by Dr. James Andrews Monday, June 16. Andrews said Carpenter is just working through typical rehab pains. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Wednesday, June 18. Carpenter said he absolutely expects to pitch this season.

From Yahoo Sports:
Jun 17 RHP Chris Carpenter, who saw Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., on Monday, got the go-ahead to resume throwing in Jupiter, Fla., at the Cardinals' spring training base. No new damage was found in Carpenter's surgically repaired elbow.

I just picked him up and stashed him on my DL. Everything sounds good so far, hopefully he'll be back less than a month after the ASB....hard to say though.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby harold_bush » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:39 pm

I say he is worthless in anyhting but the DEEPEST leagues.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chicago RedSox » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:53 am

From Yahoo:
Jul 2 RHP Chris Carpenter, feeling no pain in his surgically repaired elbow, will be with the club to throw a couple of bullpen sessions before returning to Florida to pitch in simulated games.

From KFFL:
Jun 30 Cardinals.MLB.com's Matthew Leach reports St. Louis Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (elbow) could return this season as a reliever because of the slow pace of his recovery from Tommy John surgery. He's on a throwing program at the Cardinals' complex in Florida, with a plan to face hitters approximately once a week. General manager John Mozeliak pointed to a similar decision the club made in 2000, when former Cards SP Matt Morris pitched in relief in his first year back from Tommy John surgery. Morris went on to have a career year in 2001, contending for a Cy Young Award.

Looks like he's coming back, but only as a reliever. And I don't suspect he'll be closing so it looks like it was a wasted effort holding him in my DL slot. Maybe next year...
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm

That's funny cause I heard the exact opposite on local STL radio about Carp pitching in relief. TLR said he only sees Carpenter as a starter.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby elvis1074 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I just dropped him (I drafted him so I have been holding out hope for a long time). He has to be at least 3 weeks away from a rehab assignment so at best your going to get him for Sept and that's if there are absolutely no setbacks and that seems unlikely. My guess at this point is he experiences at least one setback in the minors and they declare that he won't pitch this season and focus on getting him ready for next year instead of rushing him.
elvis1074
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IrishDrunk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 am

Is it wrong that I saw the title of this thread and thought it said:

RIP Chris Carpenter

:-D
IrishDrunk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Carpenter, who hasn't made a major-league start since opening day 2007, will begin a rehab assignment Sunday, and that starts the countdown for his return to the Cardinals' rotation in early August. The righthander and former Cy Young Award winner will start for the Cardinals' Class AA affiliate in Springfield, Mo.

link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby jdsun1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Carpenter, who hasn't made a major-league start since opening day 2007, will begin a rehab assignment Sunday, and that starts the countdown for his return to the Cardinals' rotation in early August. The righthander and former Cy Young Award winner will start for the Cardinals' Class AA affiliate in Springfield, Mo.

link

So is he a must-add in all formats right now or should we wait for a more definite timetable?
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates