Francisco Liriano??????? what up????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Francisco Liriano??????? what up?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Francisco Liriano??????? what up?????

Postby AllDay » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 am

sandman042 wrote:Liriano's Line tonite

7 inngs 3 hits 0 er 1 bb 8 k's 87 pitches 60 of them for STRIKES !!!!

and this was against Durham the rays AAA team which is in first place in their division. Heres his line over alst 3 starts:

20 inngs 10 hits 3bb 24k's . But again its AAA batters but it is encouraging news that he threw 60 pitches for strikes out of 87 and only walk 3 in last 20 inngs. his control is slowly getting back.

With Twins in playoff race i dont know how much longer they can hold onto livan but well see i wouldnt be suprised if he was DFA which has been a rumour recently.

I guess he got 'bombed' again tonight. :-b
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trebor » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:18 am

from the Star Tribune clubhouse guy, Thurs 10pm post:

"Francisco Liriano had his third straight strong start tonight, shutting out Durham for seven innings on three hits with a walk and eight strikeouts. He’s now 7-2 with a 3.53 ERA. He threw 87 pitches.

If my math is correct, Liriano has walked three and struck out 24 over his last three starts. And he’s on a run of 21.1 scoreless innings.

That looks a lot like the stretch the Twins wanted to see before they would consider calling him up. Since he pitched tonight I can’t get reaction to his outing from the club, but I talked to one person at the park today and got the sense that they still wanted to see an extended strong run from him. How long that is I’m unsure.

For the conspiracy theorists, my rough math shows that Liriano should be outside the range of service time needed to qualify for Super-2 arbitration status.

Even if the Twins decided tomorrow that they want Liriano up, who leaves the rotation? I know what you’re thinking: Livan."

my guess is he makes the Twins 5th start after AS break...just a guess...and a very optimistic one.
Trebor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:32 am

AllDay wrote:
Yoda wrote:
AllDay wrote:At the beginning of the year Liriano was expected to be with the big club all year long. No, you wouldn't send your best SP down to the minors at the beginning of the year and keep him there until the All Star break just to save a million bucks.

However, he wasn't ready and he did need to go spend some time in the minors to shake off the rust. Now the Twins have a decision to make, and they will certainly consider the million bucks they could save by simply delaying a decision by a few weeks.

The Twins are my favorite team, and I have no problem admitting they look for ways to save money. Saving the money isn't the sole determining factor - but it is certainly a part of the equation. You are absolutely wrong in scoffing at that concept, and your reasoning that 'They didn't seem too concerned about saving money when they trotted him out there earlier in the year' is just sheer ignorance.

If he was ready to pitch in MLB, then he would be up by now. While teams are cautious throwing millions at free agents, if you look around you never see teams holding players down in the minors because of money. If they feel someone is even remotely ready to contribute then they'll call him up. Especially the ones with experience.

Super 2 is a rumor conjured up by the media. It would be utterly stupid for any organization to waste his bullets in the minors if he is ready to pitch up in the majors. And as a fan, why would you want to risk an injury to an injury prone pitcher? Anyway...

Well there really isn't an open spot in the rotation at the moment - so Liriano 'just being ready' isn't the only factor being weighed here.

How are you going to know when he is 'ready' anyways? You're already on record saying minor league performance doesn't mean a thing.

As a fan, I realize that a player can be injured in the minors just as easily as he can be injured in the majors. The risk is there in the minors as well as the majors. As a fan, am I supposed to be hoping they shut him down and store him in a house made of marshmallows away from sharp objects?

How do you know if he is ready? String together a few dominant starts like he has. He's probably ready to be tested.

You are taking something I said out of context. Minor league performance does matter but not for someone like Liriano who already graduated AAA years ago. If you can't see the difference between what I am saying in regards to minor league performance between someone who's had MLB success such as Liriano versus someone who hasn't then I do not know what else to tell you.

And yes, when I posted that he was getting bombed, he in fact was getting bombed every other start. Since then he went back to his old delivery which caused his arm to blow out half way through the season. We'll see at the end of the season what happens.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby poo holes » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm

I also think we will see him within a week after the All Star Break. Yes, he has been on my roster since I drafted him with my 14th overall pick...and I am currently in 2nd place 3 points behind first. 12 team standard 5x5 league.
poo holes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Marrakesh Express » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm waiting as long as possible to pick him up, hopefully Putz will be back and i'll be able to drop Morrow and snag Liriano. Any minor league stats mean something since if he was giving up 10 runs every outing they wouldn't bring him up, he is pitching well and therefore will be brought up when the time is right in a few more weeks. Although I feel that the Twins will wait longer since they have 5 pitchers who are doing well right now.
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kevinss2001 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am

here is the latest and greatest from Yahoo...

Jul 11 Liriano threw seven scoreless innings with eight strikeouts and one walk in Thursday's win for Triple-A Rochester. He's now thrown 21.1 scoreless innings for Rochester, but it's not clear when he'll be called up to Minnesota. "To a point, he has to wait his turn a little bit, because we don't have a spot for him right now [with] the way the other guys have been pitching," Twins GM Bill Smith told the team's official web site reports. "But it's a team and an organizational effort all the way. We have close to 70 games to go, and there is no question that Francisco Liriano will hopefully be a big part of this thing in the second half."

Recommendation: Liriano should be at the point where he won't qualify for arbitration after the season (he was at risk as a "Super Two" player if called up earlier this month), but needs a spot to open in the rotation. If Livan Hernandez struggles his next few outings, the Twins may be forced to make a change.
kevinss2001
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AllDay » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 am

Yoda wrote:How do you know if he is ready? String together a few dominant starts like he has. He's probably ready to be tested.

You are taking something I said out of context. Minor league performance does matter but not for someone like Liriano who already graduated AAA years ago. If you can't see the difference between what I am saying in regards to minor league performance between someone who's had MLB success such as Liriano versus someone who hasn't then I do not know what else to tell you.

And yes, when I posted that he was getting bombed, he in fact was getting bombed every other start. Since then he went back to his old delivery which caused his arm to blow out half way through the season. We'll see at the end of the season what happens.

Here is your quote:

The problem is, it really doesn't matter how he looks in the minors. Even crappy pitchers can dominate AAA hitters on a regular basis only to get bombed when they get called up.

So now suddenly it matters how he looks in the minors? Backpeddle much?
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:12 am

AllDay wrote:
Yoda wrote:How do you know if he is ready? String together a few dominant starts like he has. He's probably ready to be tested.

Here is your quote:

The problem is, it really doesn't matter how he looks in the minors. Even crappy pitchers can dominate AAA hitters on a regular basis only to get bombed when they get called up.

So now suddenly it matters how he looks in the minors? Backpeddle much?

Yeah you are right. Since he is dominating AAA, that means he will do the same when he is called up right? WTF was I thinking? ;-7

Hey you can be angry at me all you want but you should really be angry at yourself for wasting a mid round pick on Liriano this year. Sigh...
Last edited by bigken117 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Insulting other posters
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 pm

An important thing to remember about Liriano is that he's already thrown over 100 innings and I can't imagine that Twins pushing him past 200 innings this year. I think come September, he might not be as valuable in H2H leagues.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby robbn1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:56 am

Good point, chaindog.
robbn1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates