100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All-Star Voting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: All-Star Voting

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:15 am

NorthSider2 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
NorthSider2 wrote:I think the All-Star should go by Stats. Having V-Teck in at .220ish is pathetic. The 10 players who are fighting for the last 2 spots for the respective leagues should be in. Evan Longoria who should win ROY is on the fringe!

What Stats? And why?

Well they should make so guys like V-Teck who batting .220 shouldnt go. They should at least make a min of .300 batting avg and HR.

Over what time span? Varitek is a career .263 hitter. And what's so special about batting .300?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NorthSider2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:22 am

Over what time span? Varitek is a career .263 hitter. And what's so special about batting .300?

In the season they are the players with the best stats should go to the all star game. Varitek might be a .263 hitter buts hes hitting .220 this year. There are other catchers out there doing better than he is and they are sitting at home
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 am

NorthSider2 wrote:Well they should make so guys like V-Teck who batting .220 shouldnt go. They should at least make a min of .300 batting avg and HR.

So a guy hitting .299 with a .425 OBP wouldn't make it?

BTW Ken Griffey (a 13 time all-star) has been on All-star team 6 times in years he didn't hit .300.

What about Ichiro? He would never get the minimum number of homers, is he undeserving of every single one of his all star appearances?

NorthSider2 wrote:I think the All-Star should go by Stats. Having V-Teck in at .220ish is pathetic. The 10 players who are fighting for the last 2 spots for the respective leagues should be in. Evan Longoria who should win ROY is on the fringe!

Well none of those guys are catchers. And the RoY hardly every in the all-star game, and often times the guy who is the ASB favorite for RoY falls flat on his face in the second half as teams figure him out.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 am

NorthSider2 wrote:

In the season they are the players with the best stats should go to the all star game. Varitek might be a .263 hitter buts hes hitting .220 this year. There are other catchers out there doing better than he is and they are sitting at home

The catchers who didn't make weren't exactly lighting the world afire, and few catchers are as respected as Varitek due to everything else he brings to the table.

Oh and i am not saying Tek is having an all-star like year, but shouldn't just look at BA of a player when judging his worth.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 am

I think we can all agree that the way players are selected and/or voted onto the team is extremely flawed. Unfortunatley, it's also not going to change any time soon.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:12 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:I think we can all agree that the way players are selected and/or voted onto the team is extremely flawed. Unfortunatley, it's also not going to change any time soon.

We can almost all agree. I don't think the current way is flawed.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm

Tavish wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:I think we can all agree that the way players are selected and/or voted onto the team is extremely flawed. Unfortunatley, it's also not going to change any time soon.

We can almost all agree. I don't think the current way is flawed.

Nor do I.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:04 pm

It's flawed if Dumpster and Brian Wilson get the nod over Johan.

Oh wait, that bit wasn't picked by us. :-S :-S :-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Bottom line it's flawed..

Jason Varitek in the ASG is a disgrace...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:10 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:Bottom line it's flawed..

Jason Varitek in the ASG is a disgrace...

Why?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers