Chase Headley...will he eventually be a 35 HR bat? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chase Headley...will he eventually be a 35 HR bat?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chase Headley...will he eventually be a 35 HR bat?

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:26 pm

I've heard rumors about Chase and some say he is close to Jay Bruce. I am not so sure that is true but, I do know the guy has power. However, what can he really do at Padre central? I think he is someone to own in a keeper league but then again I thought Billy Butler would be doing much better.

Your thoughts?

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chase Headley...will he eventually be a 35 HR bat?

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:34 pm

Adrian Gonzalez has tremendous power and if he only has a maybe chance at reaching, Chase doesn't have any.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Chase had 20 Home Runs in AA ball, so I am not sure that means he does not have ANY pop.

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Not playing half his games in Petco. Maybe if, like Bruce, he had the luxury of Great American Ballpark...
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The_Natural » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:31 pm

I dropped Butler in my keeper today.

I have Chase waiting in the wings.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Postby neoforce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Adrian Gonzalez has tremendous power and if he only has a maybe chance at reaching, Chase doesn't have any.

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:Chase had 20 Home Runs in AA ball, so I am not sure that means he does not have ANY pop.

I don't think Grounded Polo was saying Chase doesn't have any pop in his bat. He is saying Chase doesn't have a chance at 35 HR, using Gonzalez as a guide.

Assume Gonzalez has more pop than Chase (reasonable assumption). Now look at Petco (where home runs go to die) making it unlikely for Gonzalez to get 35 HR. Therefore Chase doesn't have any chance to get 35 either.

I pretty much agree. I have Headley on my team, expect him to come up and do ok. But playing half this games at Petco really lowers my expectations from him.

My hope: Headly gets called up during a road trip. Goes all Jay Bruce in his first week, I sell him high. Its a keeper league, but I'll sell Headley. I also have Bruce, and I'm NOT selling him high.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Danimal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 am

First things first ... when will he get the call?

B-)
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby neoforce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 am

Danimal wrote:First things first ... when will he get the call?

B-)

Boy, I wish I knew. My guess is some time next week. But it is all about Super Two eligibility and the timing is uncertain. Some additional detail about this below.

==
The way "Super Two" is structured, no one knows who will be eligble until after the fact. There is a good article about this and Headly at http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/200 ... d-makes-d/ From that article:

Last year's cutoff was two years, 140 days. ... Yet the historic range is sufficiently broad -- since 1990, it has fallen variously from two years plus 128 days to two years plus 153 days -- that roster decisions become exceedingly delicate this time of year.

The Cincinnati Reds could afford to promote phenom Jay Bruce on Tuesday because he was starting his service clock from scratch. Headley, however, earned 19 days on the Padres' roster last season and could accumulate as many as 142 days of total service by season's end if he were called up Wednesday.

If you want the specific rule, check out http://www.mlb.com/pa/info/faq.jsp#arbitration

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration?
A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:55 pm

I agree with the idea of selling Chase H. high or with the idea of him hitting home runs away more often than at home. What I really hope for is that Chase gets traded and then his value will hold. Speaking of trading, who here thinks that Colorado's injured OF'er will eventually be traded away to the Yankees? :-)

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers