If you had the 1st waiver pick in your keeper league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

If you had the 1st waiver pick in your keeper league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: If you had the 1st waiver pick in your keeper league...

Postby jwhands » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:52 pm

clevername wrote:pitcher: Price

hitter: LaPorta or Wieters.

ETA on any of those likely isn't this year but possible.

I think McCutcheon is another Cameron Maybin. I'm tired of thin guys who have "potential" for 20/20 getting overhyped.

McCutchen is not the same type of player as Maybin. Maybin has a huge strikeout rate, while McCutchen can make contact (39 K's in 219 ABs). If you want to use a waiver pick for someone for this year, then I think McCutchen is the short term pick. If you want to gamble on Price being available, then I would definitely wait it out for him. He looks like the real deal.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby clevername » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am

well, McCutchen may have better hitting skills than Maybin, but in an overall sense (and, most importantly, a fantasy sense), they're both potential 20/20 guys who may or may not ever actually develop that 20 HR power.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 pm

I agree upon the above post 100% and basically that is the risk with all prospects. I am still waiting on Butler who was said to have 35 Home Run Power and Alex Gordon is also taking his dear sweet time.

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:36 pm

It really depends on who gets the opportunity. If it is Price, I'd grab him, but Wieters could be the starter as early as next year and he's a better prospect than I've seen in a long time for the O's. Especially given how bad Ramon Hernandez has been, it wouldn't shock me to see him get some time later in the year with the expanded rosters, especially if the O's aren't in a playoff race.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:24 am

clevername wrote:well, McCutchen may have better hitting skills than Maybin, but in an overall sense (and, most importantly, a fantasy sense), they're both potential 20/20 guys who may or may not ever actually develop that 20 HR power.

Not really ... Maybin is more a potential 30/30 guy and it's not about developing the power, he has it, it's about developing as a hitter and making more solid contact. McCutchen on the other hand basically reminds me of Milledge. He won't have a lot of pop, potential for 15-20 IMO and isn't good enough on the base paths to steal to many, more 20-25 potential.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:31 am

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:I agree upon the above post 100% and basically that is the risk with all prospects. I am still waiting on Butler who was said to have 35 Home Run Power and Alex Gordon is also taking his dear sweet time.

D

Still waiting? It's been basically one year maybe you should temper your expectations. You have to realize KC has no one around them to help and they are basically on their own right now trying to figure everything out and develope. It's a much different situation then a prospect like Bruce or lets say even Braun last year who already has a good line up around him. Different situations for prospects result in different outcomes.

As for who to grab, if you like to be risky I'd try and wait on someone getting a Sept. callup like Price/Wieters. Gonzalez is good but he is defiantly a step below those names.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm gonna agree with everyone else on Weiters. Rumor Im hearing is he moves to Bowie by the end of the month, and if he hits well there he will probably start next year. Being a Catcher he has the best chance to be a true difference maker. Unlike the rest of the names he is probably the most likely to end up top 3-4 at his position.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Weiters! I am not so sure he will be as good as victor M but, I have never been one to scout catchers. Each of us would claim a different player with a #1 waiver spot, depending on whom we really need or who might be the best value for a trade. Since I own Hamels, Verlander, Webb, & Lackey (with Masterson a likely keeper candidate, I would probably pass on the Rays top pitcher, unless I could package him in a trade for a an upgrade. So here's hoping I will find a player as keepable as Jacoby Ellsbury.

Thanks all
D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 am

If you want to save your claim and don't care about 2008 impact, I'd just pick up the first of Price or Wieters to get called up. LaPorta would also be in the mix but Price and Wieters should be the 1A and 1B.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Price, LaPorta, Wieters, Snider. Whoever gets called up first. McCutchen is in the next tier for me, I only put in a claim if I'm something like Waiver #5 or worse.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball