June 1: When Trading Begins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

June 1: When Trading Begins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: June 1: When Trading Begins

Postby DeadWinterDay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Benjn wrote:If you're in a smart league, trading is less about matching player for player value and more about addressing the other team's needs.

I tend to agree that "winning" a trade really just means that your team comes out better after you make the trade, regardless of the effect it has on the other team.

Although yeah, I'll also chime in that in smart leagues it's important to build a reputation as a fair trade partner. This increases the likelihood that you can squeeze in an incredible sell high/buy low once in a while. :)

In my favorite league (12 team, 5x5 roto), we've had 3 trades so far and I've been part of each. Sometimes people trade just to change things up. My league tends to trust their players more than most, I think, and will generally only trade if they have someone that hits the DL and there isn't a FA to fill the hole.

Also early on, lots of good players can be picked up off the wire. As the season goes on, the amount of good players out there dwindles dramatically - forcing teams to turn to trades to address needs. Also, you can begin to see a good amount of seperation in categories and can understand exactly what you need to do to be competitive.

Totally agree.
A few basic rules for myself to go along with some obvious ones...
1. NEVER trade with a team competing with you for first place/2nd place. Yes you get help but so do they. Pretty much nullifies a trade, except for maybe eliminating a close 3rd place team, but I play for first not a guaranteed 2nd.
2. ALWAYS help out bottom feeders. When I'm dominating a cat I look to go help out the bottom guys who are doing decent in that cat. Maybe they can steal a point from the other guys vying for 1st.
3. Trade early. 2 for 1's early on are awesome with a waiver wire full of goodies. Lets say its early and Mr. Jay Bruce is on the wire (a possible scenario) and you want him, but have no room for him. You also want a-rod. ARod owner wants your ARam and Rios. This is essentially ARod and Bruce for Aram and Rios. Doesnt look that bad anymore does it?

So in my main league I'm pitching heavy, and I need some SBs. I'm on pace to go 100 innings over the limit, lead the league in ERA, K (I got a good K/9 so im not worried about the catchup at the end), W (ok here ill lose some with the catchup), WHIP, and im 2nd in S...so I'll go target any and every team that lacks pitching and offer a 2 for 1 deal to the guy (guy with Ichiro is dominating SBs and like last in every pitching cat, muahahaha), knowing that I'll get an upgrade at one spot while I'll just go and scour the waiver wire to replace one of the 2 starters I lost with say Wandy Rodriguez, whom I can just start at home and reap the benifits as well as bring my innings down to earth, or maybe ill grab a good UTIL guy, who knows. Essentially I helped a nonfactor team, possibly even hurt a competitor, and in the long haul ive improved myself as well.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: June 1: When Trading Begins

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 am

Benjn wrote:Although yeah, I'll also chime in that in smart leagues it's important to build a reputation as a fair trade partner. This increases the likelihood that you can squeeze in an incredible sell high/buy low once in a while. :)

That is very very important.

We have to remember that we are doing this for fun, and most of us are in a league with the same people year after year.
If you make a reputation as hard to deal with, it's usually permanent.

I'd rather do a trade that adresses an urgent need then blow the other person away.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers