June 1: When Trading Begins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

June 1: When Trading Begins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: June 1: When Trading Begins

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:42 am

Definitely time to start thinking longer term. I have no problems cutting or selling struggling players for whatever I can get at this point regardless of how much I paid for them.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdsun1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 am

SpecialFNK wrote:if June is when trading begins then my league is going to have a very busy summer.
in my yahoo 5x5 12 team private league there has allready been 62 trades. ive made 7 myself, 4 other owners have made 7, and one owner for whatever reason has allready made 16 trades himself. i cant remember who for who, but i dont remember any of them being unfair. maybe he just likes having fun and making trades. from him this season ive made the following trades..
--
gave- Francoeur, Sabathia (after back to back 9 ER games)
got- Willingham, J Santana
--
just saturday night..
gave- D Lee, Kershaw
got- Ibanez, Sabathia
--
gave- Markakis, Ethier
got- Dunn
--

its a league where most of the same people play each year with a couple new guys joining for some who have left. this is my 3rd time in this league. last year i made the most trades in this league for the whole season at 10, and now this guy allready at 16 looks to demolish that record.

I'm sorry but I simply don't see the point in making that many trades. It must start to be like a joke when your league has had that many trades.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:29 am

jdsun1 wrote:My league might be full of schmucks but they won't make any trades unless it is in their favor with the exception of a few decent guys.

Wait, I don't understand this. Why would I make a trade that doesn't work in my favor? It's that pretty much the only criteria for making a trade?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby nsulham » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 am

mkultra wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:My league might be full of schmucks but they won't make any trades unless it is in their favor with the exception of a few decent guys.

Wait, I don't understand this. Why would I make a trade that doesn't work in my favor? It's that pretty much the only criteria for making a trade?

I think he means guys who won't make trades unless the deal is blatantly and lopsidedly in their favor. I have guys like this in my league as well, guys who won't make deals that benefit both teams but instead want to try to fleece the other guy.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:07 am

nsulham wrote:
mkultra wrote:

I think he means guys who won't make trades unless the deal is blatantly and lopsidedly in their favor. I have guys like this in my league as well, guys who won't make deals that benefit both teams but instead want to try to fleece the other guy.

Yah: every league has guys like this. After their first year in the league, though, people just stop making them offers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 am

Matthias wrote:
nsulham wrote:I think he means guys who won't make trades unless the deal is blatantly and lopsidedly in their favor. I have guys like this in my league as well, guys who won't make deals that benefit both teams but instead want to try to fleece the other guy.

Yah: every league has guys like this. After their first year in the league, though, people just stop making them offers.

I am that guy. People hate it when I make trades because I rarely lose out.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Yoda wrote:
Matthias wrote:
nsulham wrote:I think he means guys who won't make trades unless the deal is blatantly and lopsidedly in their favor. I have guys like this in my league as well, guys who won't make deals that benefit both teams but instead want to try to fleece the other guy.

I am that guy. People hate it when I make trades because I rarely lose out.

Same here. I see no point in a "fair" trade, because if iit's fair for both sides, I'm helping my competition as much as myself, making the trade pointless.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:58 pm

no wonder i had 5 trade offers when i checked my mail this morning.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Same here. I see no point in a "fair" trade, because if iit's fair for both sides, I'm helping my competition as much as myself, making the trade pointless.

This is a wrong attitude for a number of reasons.
1) It's a competition of 10, 12, 14, or however many guys, not just two. So the mentality of, "he has to lose if I am going to win" doesn't apply.
2) Different teams have different needs. So you might be miles ahead of the pack in K's, W's, and ERA but only middle-of-the-road on HRs, Rs, and RBIs. Trading a pitcher for a hitter, even if precisely equal value, still is to your benefit in the overall scheme of things.
3) The competition is enjoyable in fantasy baseball, but another primary aspect is interacting with your friends and family. If you're always going to be "that guy" it just hurts your reputation overall, even outside of your league.
4) You eventually just lose your trading partners as people just figure out there's no point in broaching anything since you'll just demand Albert Pujols for your Ryan Ludwick.
5) It's a douchey way to do things. And it always sucks to be the douche.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:19 pm

And yet I've still made 5 trades this season in one league, 4 in 2 others, and 2 in another one.

People still trade with me. A lot of the time the trades I make are buy lows, so they odn;t appear to be beneficial at the time. That, or they're trades I made with my baseall knowledge. In the preseason in one league I traded JJ Hardy and Eric Byrnes for Hamilton and Tejada. In the preaseason, everyone thought i was an idiot, yet this turned out to be extremely advantageous. It's about knowing your leaguemates.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers