June 1: When Trading Begins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

June 1: When Trading Begins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

June 1: When Trading Begins

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Now that we're two months deep, people will start relying on '08 numbers rather than preseason opinions. The first two months are usually a drag if you have guys like Carlos Quentin and you're interested in seeing what's out there because everyone assumes he'll become a bust any second. Once it approaches summer, it becomes much easier to get things done.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: June 1: When Trading Begins

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Yes, post-Memorial Day is definitely opening day for trade season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 pm

I think it really depends on your league. My league might be full of schmucks but they won't make any trades unless it is in their favor with the exception of a few decent guys. Therefore it will probably take until the ASB to fully be able to buy low on guys like Oswalt, Verlander, Rios, etc. for me.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KrunK » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:30 pm

It's funny that you mentioned this, I just had two trade offers today and one of them is a 3-for-3 deal. I just traded Quentin/Granderson for CC in one league and the owner straight dropped Granderson, so I'll probably pick him back up and hope he heats up and deal him off :-D
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 am

It really all depends on the intelligence of your league mates. I know people in my league still think Milton Bradley is FA trash but when I drop him they'll use their high waiver on him. Seems like they only use the good 08 numbers in trade discussions when they're in their best interests.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby RyanK » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:35 am

i enjoy trading too much
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby jdsun1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:58 am

smoovethug wrote:It really all depends on the intelligence of your league mates. I know people in my league still think Milton Bradley is FA trash but when I drop him they'll use their high waiver on him. Seems like they only use the good 08 numbers in trade discussions when they're in their best interests.

Your league sounds like mine and I can't stand it.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silverZ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:15 am

I try to buy low on guys like Cano after a few weeks. I also try to get rid of guys like Hafner once i see them not looking like they're gonna live up to draft value. It was a lot easier to get Cano for 2 average players at the end of April then it would be now. Or to package Hafner with an average replacement like F.Lopez to pick up a Roberts. If you fish the guys near the bottom of the standings you can get pretty good value in April.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:18 am

KrunK wrote:It's funny that you mentioned this, I just had two trade offers today and one of them is a 3-for-3 deal. I just traded Quentin/Granderson for CC in one league and the owner straight dropped Granderson, so I'll probably pick him back up and hope he heats up and deal him off :-D

quentin/granderson for CC is a loss for you IMO...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:41 am

if June is when trading begins then my league is going to have a very busy summer.
in my yahoo 5x5 12 team private league there has allready been 62 trades. ive made 7 myself, 4 other owners have made 7, and one owner for whatever reason has allready made 16 trades himself. i cant remember who for who, but i dont remember any of them being unfair. maybe he just likes having fun and making trades. from him this season ive made the following trades..
--
gave- Francoeur, Sabathia (after back to back 9 ER games)
got- Willingham, J Santana
--
just saturday night..
gave- D Lee, Kershaw
got- Ibanez, Sabathia
--
gave- Markakis, Ethier
got- Dunn
--

its a league where most of the same people play each year with a couple new guys joining for some who have left. this is my 3rd time in this league. last year i made the most trades in this league for the whole season at 10, and now this guy allready at 16 looks to demolish that record.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers