Sports Genie, Yahoo's policy on cheating? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sports Genie, Yahoo's policy on cheating?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sports Genie, Yahoo's policy on cheating?

Postby The_Natural » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Cheating sucks but it happens in almost every league. I've played in CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo leagues. What I can't understand is why there isn't a log of commish changes. If a commish moves someones roster it should show up as a move just like an add or drop. But no league does it. I play in a CBS points league and a commish could change his roster and if someone wasnt paying attention than the commish could cheat as well.

Add a log of commish changes and it would eliminate so many instances of cheating.

No it doesn't.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:07 am

Old_Style wrote:
ScrappyDoo wrote:Cheating sucks but it happens in almost every league. I've played in CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo leagues. What I can't understand is why there isn't a log of commish changes. If a commish moves someones roster it should show up as a move just like an add or drop. But no league does it. I play in a CBS points league and a commish could change his roster and if someone wasnt paying attention than the commish could cheat as well.

Add a log of commish changes and it would eliminate so many instances of cheating.

I'm pretty sure Yahoo shows when there is a commish change. There is a big letter "C" somewhere in the transaction log.

Yup. We definitely show if the commish drops or adds players from other teams. Until last year there was a hole where a commish could change his lineup after the deadline with no notice (really only an issue for football, due to other circumstances). The Cafe pointed this out, and I fixed it, so now if a commish changes a lineup after the deadline, that also shows up in the transaction log.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby silverZ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 am

If your commish is pulling crap like this you need to find another league and get your money back if there was any involved.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:15 am

I was just wondering why people get involved in private leagues where they dont know everyone and could handle this matter personally? :-?

Seems like you set yourself up for this one...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:29 am

jake_harv88 wrote:I was just wondering why people get involved in private leagues where they dont know everyone and could handle this matter personally? :-?

Seems like you set yourself up for this one...

I've joined private leagues where I only knew one or two mangers. I guess there's some risk involved (particularly if it's a cash league), but when your options are that or a Yahoo public, I'd go with the private every time.

It's tough finding that perfect league with no deadbeats or questionable activity and not everyone has that option (hence the reason for the classifieds section on this very site) so they need to take that chance if they're looking for a more competitive league. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't have known better, but I do sympathize. I'm sure most of us have been there at one point or another.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby cannonarm21 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 am

This is off the subject a little, but I am not real sure why Jay Bruce was available as a free agent in Yahoo, rather than the normal waiver process that most rookies who have never played at the ML level. Examples would be Kershaw and Scherzer. I picked up Bruce as a FA about 4 weeks ago, so I am not complaining. But I could see where the team with the #1 waiver could be a little upset.

Maybe this is why the commish stepped in?

On a separate note, I think Yahoo does a fabulous job. I glady spend the $125 each year and am completely satisfied.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 am

nah, Bruce has been in the Yahoo database for a while now. I drafted him at the beginning of the year in one dynasty league.

Now, as to why he was available when Sherzer and Kershaw and the like weren't, I have no clue. That you'd have to take up with Yahoo :P
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:23 am

Cooner wrote:nah, Bruce has been in the Yahoo database for a while now. I drafted him at the beginning of the year in one dynasty league.

Now, as to why he was available when Sherzer and Kershaw and the like weren't, I have no clue. That you'd have to take up with Yahoo :P

The discussion re. Yahoo's eligibility policy can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=335019&hilit=manny+parra&sid=312316d7c8e7c74688cc60f7ff12a805#p2683418
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby abc11435 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:30 am

I'm in one league with a cheating commish too. He took all the good players from other teams, then blamed "his roomate for doing it".

Anyway the only way to combat it is to play with people you know, or commish the leagues yourself.

If you are too lazy like me, then you have to take a chance, and tolerate when something like this happens. Cheating does not happen in every league.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby thedude » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:11 pm

I have played in private leagues where not all the members know each other. IMO cheating is not a huge problem (though there are dishonest people everywhere), the larger problem is keeping the league together for multiple years. Nevertheless, I would never play in a money where i did not know and trust the commissioner.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers