Sports Genie, Yahoo's policy on cheating? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sports Genie, Yahoo's policy on cheating?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sports Genie, Yahoo's policy on cheating?

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:41 pm

riverrat wrote:In my tiny, little mind it is 'kind' of a Yahoo problem. They offer a game but dont vouch for the integrity of it. Guess I'm just p/o'd about the time I've wasted already with it.
For those in leagues other than Yahoo, what's the policy at those games on cheating? Are there remedies for cheaters at other game sites?

dude, you're flat-out being a moron.... it's not a yahoo issue, it's the d-bag commish in your league. yahoo can in no way vouche for the integrity of every tom, dickhead and harry in every private league. it just sounds like you're looking for someone to blame OTHER THAN the shady commish. there is no else to blame. accept it and stop bashing yahoo (and i'm a bigger fan of ESPN, so this is in no way a biased defense of yahoo).
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 pm

riverrat wrote:Thanks again.
Yes, for sure I wont be joining that league next year. Its a 20-team league and fully 1/2 of the current teams are disgusted with it and committed to starting a new league at the half.
It IS a commissioner problem.
Wacky rules? Its a standard free yahoo league. H2H, IP mins and 6X6. Thats all. They dont offer a bunch of different options for the free game. There are no wacky rules.
In my tiny, little mind it is 'kind' of a Yahoo problem. They offer a game but dont vouch for the integrity of it. Guess I'm just p/o'd about the time I've wasted already with it.
For those in leagues other than Yahoo, what's the policy at those games on cheating? Are there remedies for cheaters at other game sites?

There are infinitely many 'house rules' your league can follow that are not offered through Yahoo! Keeper, auction value, trade/drop/add regulations that are specific to your league, but not within Yahoo!'s parameters.

In my opinion, Yahoo! is responsible absolutely 0% for your problem. I can't imagine CBS, ESPN, or any other fantasy provider dealing with issues like this one, either. It is not their job to police your private league. They can't vouch for the integrity of your commissioner or any member of your league, nor should they have to.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Were still waiting on an explanation for what this commish did?
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:52 pm

riverrat wrote:Thanks again.
Wacky rules? Its a standard free yahoo league. H2H, IP mins and 6X6. Thats all. They dont offer a bunch of different options for the free game. There are no wacky rules.
In my tiny, little mind it is 'kind' of a Yahoo problem. They offer a game but dont vouch for the integrity of it. Guess I'm just p/o'd about the time I've wasted already with it.

That means there are no wacky rules we know about. As others mentioned, many leagues have conventions or rules outside the scope of what our game supports. That's one of the challenging things about our jobs; people invent an infinite number of ways to play this game, and we try to support what we can, but will never be able to support everything. Example: my personal keeper league has the notion of "jabronies". There are guys someone wants to add to their roster that isn't yet in the Yahoo player pool. The way we manage this is that you post your intent to the league message board, and pick up some other dope (i.e. the jabronie) that nobody would possibly want. Then, if/when that player eventually enters the player pool, the manager drops the jabronie and adds the real player. Problem: a few times a year, one of my managers isn't paying attention, and adds Clayton Kershaw, even though he was claimed as a jabronie ages ago. At which point I, as commish, they to fix the mess as quickly as possible. And it involves things like yoinking Kershaw off of the team that picked him up.

Now your league may not have rules like that. But our customer care can't know that. All they can know is that in a private league where 2 people decided to play together, two people are each describing conflicting scenarios. It puts them in an impossible position.

We vouch for the integrity of the game itself. We even do a fair number of things that I know are frustrating at times with the bottom line goal of maintaining the integrity of the game (search for the discussions about why you can't sub out a player when his game is rained out, for instance). But we can't possibly vouch for the integrity of the millions of individuals who play our game.

And I really am sorry you've had this experience. It would frustrate me too. But as someone who takes a lot of this stuff to heart, and always hopes we can do better, I think we do what we realistically can in this area.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Jabronies? Did you and your friends watch too much WWF?

Though I will admit, I loved the Rock and especially the People's Elbow :-b
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby riverrat » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Yea, I see your point about the different 'house rules' that Yahoo cant possibly know about. This is just a standard league. OK. I'm done with this.

To the poster above who wanted to know what happened...
Bruce claimed from FA legally. Commish gave him to another team, replacing Bruce with Hart, in effect, completing a 'trade' which the original owner of Bruce never knew about. We do think some players had multiple teams, including the jerky commish.
Thanks to all commmenters. This case is closed!
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ScrappyDoo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 pm

Cheating sucks but it happens in almost every league. I've played in CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo leagues. What I can't understand is why there isn't a log of commish changes. If a commish moves someones roster it should show up as a move just like an add or drop. But no league does it. I play in a CBS points league and a commish could change his roster and if someone wasnt paying attention than the commish could cheat as well.

Add a log of commish changes and it would eliminate so many instances of cheating.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:52 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Cheating sucks but it happens in almost every league. I've played in CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo leagues. What I can't understand is why there isn't a log of commish changes. If a commish moves someones roster it should show up as a move just like an add or drop. But no league does it. I play in a CBS points league and a commish could change his roster and if someone wasnt paying attention than the commish could cheat as well.

Add a log of commish changes and it would eliminate so many instances of cheating.

I'm pretty sure Yahoo shows when there is a commish change. There is a big letter "C" somewhere in the transaction log.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jnormy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:04 pm

Old_Style wrote:I'm pretty sure Yahoo shows when there is a commish change. There is a big letter "C" somewhere in the transaction log.

You are right. Also, if you click on "View All" under Transactions, you'll find a tab that will show you ONLY the commissioner's changes throughout the season. Yahoo does indeed offer a very detailed commissioner's log. ;-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Curtis Pride » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:08 pm

It's not a Yahoo issue. They vouch for the integrity of everything they can control.

There are millions of people playing Yahoo fantasy basball; they can't research the settings of every league and make sure that everyone is being fair.

Yahoo has zero culpability here; it's your league and your commissioner.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers