Mark Prior - Another shoulder surgery - Done for good? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mark Prior - Another shoulder surgery - Done for good?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Prior - Another shoulder surgery - Done for good?

Postby suckerpuncher » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Prior to have season-ending surgery
Tear in Padres starting pitcher's right shoulder to be repaired

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

ADVERTISEMENT
print this pageprint this page | e-mail this pagee-mail this page
SAN FRANCISCO -- Padres manager Bud Black said on Sunday that pitcher Mark Prior will have season-ending surgery on his right shoulder this week.

Prior, attempting to come back from major shoulder surgery in April 2007, will have the anterior capsule of his right shoulder repaired by team physicians in San Diego.

Earlier this month, Prior learned that he had a tear in the capsule of his shoulder when he visited orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who performed the original surgery on Prior's shoulder on April 24, 2007.

After that diagnosis, Prior was told not to pick up a baseball for two weeks. At the end of those two weeks, he would be re-evaluated.

Prior signed a one-year deal with San Diego on Dec. 26 for $1 million with incentives that could have reached $3 million.

"For Mark, I can't imagine how frustrated he is," Black said.

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
suckerpuncher
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mark Prior - Another shoulder surgery - Done for good?

Postby ultrazero » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 pm

It's hard to see what's keeping him from hanging them up.
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Mighty Trow » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:00 am

hard to believe but he's only 28 years old. I feel really bad for him
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby chinst » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:05 am

ultrazero wrote:It's hard to see what's keeping him from hanging them up.

Making millions of dollars to play a game that he loves is a tough job to retire from at age 27!
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KrunK » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:43 am

The Mighty Trow wrote:hard to believe but he's only 28 years old. I feel really bad for him

I had no idea he was only 28. As it was just mentioned, I don't see him hanging up the cleats anytime soon as long as someone will sign him because he's got potential. That and getting payid $1 million to warm the bench wouldn't be too bad...
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hett2333 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:09 am

Can someone tell me why this guy is still being talked about? He hasn't had any fantasy relevance since 2003. I love how everyone feels so bad for this guy too. He's a professional athlete who's made millions of dollars. He was blessed with a talent most people would only wish to have and he cashed in on it. Injuries are apart of the game, move on.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chinst » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm

hett2333 wrote:Can someone tell me why this guy is still being talked about? He hasn't had any fantasy relevance since 2003. I love how everyone feels so bad for this guy too. He's a professional athlete who's made millions of dollars. He was blessed with a talent most people would only wish to have and he cashed in on it. Injuries are apart of the game, move on.

188 K's in 166 IP, with 11 wins and a 3.68 ERA in 2005 isn't exactly irrelevant.

I didn't go near him myself, but I can understand taking a late round flier on an injury-plagued young hurler who oozed potential for a possible second half return.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby seniorpaul » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:12 pm

hett2333 wrote:Can someone tell me why this guy is still being talked about? He hasn't had any fantasy relevance since 2003. I love how everyone feels so bad for this guy too. He's a professional athlete who's made millions of dollars. He was blessed with a talent most people would only wish to have and he cashed in on it. Injuries are apart of the game, move on.

Wow. So because he made millions of dollars, we shouldn't feel bad for him? I'm sure being a pro ball player was his dream growing up. To be on the verge of having that taken from you time and time again because of injuries just plain sucks.

Just imagine if you worked hard and got the job of being the guy who gets to put lotion all over Vida Guerra's body before her photo shoots, only to sprain your wrist and be forced to quit. Your telling me that wouldn't suck? That's my dream job, and i would cry for a year :~( .
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hett2333 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:23 pm

chinst wrote:Wow. So because he made millions of dollars, we shouldn't feel bad for him? I'm sure being a pro ball player was his dream growing up. To be on the verge of having that taken from you time and time again because of injuries just plain sucks.

Just imagine if you worked hard and got the job of being the guy who gets to put lotion all over Vida Guerra's body before her photo shoots, only to sprain your wrist and be forced to quit. Your telling me that wouldn't suck? That's my dream job, and i would cry for a year

I'm sure being a pro ball player was most everyone's dream in the cafe growing up. If you get fired from your job though, I'm sure Prior going to sympathize for you (sarchasm). I just feel injuries is apart of the game and although I'm sure it sucks for him, I'm not going to feel bad for someone who's set financially for life. Your right though, I agree it would definately suck if you sprained your wrist!
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 pm

chinst wrote:
ultrazero wrote:It's hard to see what's keeping him from hanging them up.

Making millions of dollars to play a game that he loves is a tough job to retire from at age 27!

It's Only 1 milllion, 1Mill doesn't go as far as it used to. he's only going to get offered 1 year deal unless he shows he can stay healthy for a full season. I don't hink he''s see anoth 1Mill contract any time soon.

some help viewtopic.php?t=349865
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates