Baseball rules question: Did I get the call right? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball rules question: Did I get the call right?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball rules question: Did I get the call right?

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 am

thedude wrote:You made the right call. If it had been a force out then the run should not have counted (no matter if the run scored first or not, such as the infamous Merkle Boner. But that play is not considered a force out.

rule 2 wrote:A FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner. Confusion regarding this play is removed by remembering that frequently the "force" situation is removed during the play. Example: Man on first, one out, ball hit sharply to first baseman who touches the bag and batter runner is out. The force is removed at that moment and runner advancing to second must be tagged. If there had been a runner on third or second, and either of these runners scored before the tag out at second, the run counts. Had the first baseman thrown to second and the ball then had been returned to first, the play at second was a force out, making two outs, and the return throw to first ahead of the runner would have made three outs. In that case, no run would score. Example: Not a force out. One out. Runner on first and third. Batter flies out. Two out. Runner on third tags up and scores. Runner on first tries to retouch before throw from fielder reaches first baseman, but does not get back in time and is out. Three outs. If, in umpire's judgment, the runner from third touched home before the ball was held at first base, the run counts.

http://baseball-almanac.com/rule2.shtml

You looked it up after Tav had spoken? Bad form man, bad form. :-t Tavish is like baseball almanac on brain PEDs. :-B
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:48 pm

How bout some props for Pokerplaya...I nailed it first.... :-] :-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:11 pm

all the props go to SPORTSADDICT who made the correct call under the heat of the moment !! nicely done ;-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:59 pm

stevethumb wrote:all the props go to SPORTSADDICT who made the correct call under the heat of the moment !! nicely done ;-D

What can I say? I guess I'm just a beast. :-D

I missed my share of calls this year, though. Being an umpire is tough work. Every single call you make is criticized by one team and praised by the other. I definitely have a new appreciation for umpires and referees in every sport.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 am

sportsaddict wrote:I missed my share of calls this year, though. Being an umpire is tough work. Every single call you make is criticized by one team and praised by the other. I definitely have a new appreciation for umpires and referees in every sport.

Indeed.
I umped little league baseball last summer for some extra cash. Probably one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had. :-b
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chris8 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Bumping this up rather than start a new topic...

I umpired my first ever game today - the level we play at, the home team has to provide the umpire for each game - we're not good enough to warrant anyone 'professional'! :-b

Anyway, it really opened my eyes to the pressure that umps are under - especially when there's just the one of you out there, having to make all the calls on pitches, plays at bases, etc. Definitely respect to those who do it on a regular basis...

Oh, and I actually really enjoyed doing it! Does that make me masochistic or just a little weird...? !+)
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 107)

Previous

Return to General Talk