Pujos or Guerrero? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujos or Guerrero?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujos or Guerrero?

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:22 pm

I have the 2nd pick in a 5 x 5 12 team league this year. This is my first roto style league and I'm trying to get a handle. Most would say A-Rod goes #1.

Who do I take?

Pujos? .330-40-120-120-3

Guerrero .340-45-120-120-30

If these projections are somewhat acurate wouldn't Guerrero be more valuable with the addition of steals? Why is Pujos then going #2? Age and Keeper?

Help :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:30 pm

vladimir guerrero is my favoritest player in baseball. i absolutely love what he does, i love his veracity at the plate, i love watching him take those long strides around the bases.. i love 450 foot shoelace-level-pitch homeruns, and i think he's going to have a shot at a career year (sans steals) this season.

that said, take pujols. i really think vlad's upside is great, and .345/45/125 (2000 anyone?) is within reach. remember this man has NEVER had decent protection in a lineup with him (for the love of god chris widger was 2nd on the spos in HRs with like 18 in 1998 or 1999, i forget which year)

but no way is he going to steal 30 bases.

pujols is the best young hitter in the game, and his 1b/OF versatility is worth more than vlad's OF status.

really i think they're going to have similar #s, .340ish, 30-40 HR, but i'd give the nod to pujols for rbi... and having the two positions to flipflop is worth it.

you can't go wrong with either of them. my heart says vlad, my brain says pujols, but either one of them will be a crux of your squad this season.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:31 pm

whered u get those projections... ? i know a lot of ppl will be doubting me... but i'd rather have the impaler on my team.. while avg will be around the same, his RBIs and runs may be SLIGHTLY lower that pujols... but those SBs are absolutely priceless... i've read reports that vlad has come into camp in great condition and has shown no signs of wear and tear on his back... be prepared for an MVP season for vlad and look for the halos to make a run at the pennant. both have yet to reach their potential, but i feel vlads roof is higher than pujols.
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:34 pm

30 sb for Vlad? I don't see it at all.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:37 pm

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:whered u get those projections... ? i know a lot of ppl will be doubting me... but i'd rather have the impaler on my team.. while avg will be around the same, his RBIs and runs may be SLIGHTLY lower that pujols... but those SBs are absolutely priceless... i've read reports that vlad has come into camp in great condition and has shown no signs of wear and tear on his back... be prepared for an MVP season for vlad and look for the halos to make a run at the pennant. both have yet to reach their potential, but i feel vlads roof is higher than pujols.

hey man, good to see that at least one other mofo over there agrees with me that vladdy's the best player in the game.

i dont think he's going to steal this year tho. he always got caught nearly 50% as much has he stole, and quite honestly, i dont think anaheim wants to risk injury to him because they're counting him for his pure-as-all-hell hitting skills more than the basestealing.

granted vlad is getting better and better at taking walks (more BB than K last year, and i dont ever see him regressing back to the vice versa) and he's a perennial .330+ hitter, so he'll have his chances... i'm not the most knowledgeable about scoscia's managing style, but i'm going into this season not counting on vlad to get more than 10-15 steals tops.

if he steals 30 he's easily, in my book, the best player in fantasy baseball (over beltran and soriano, again, in my book)

but i wouldnt count on it.

that said i need to plot out my summer of spotting anaheim games, even tho i'm still gonna be rockin my #27 expos jersey for life.

i might have to get an angels one tho. we'll see
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jebatzel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:41 pm

pujols all the way.

guerrero is probably going to get like 20 steals, I don't see him getting 30.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NZF » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:52 pm

jebatzel wrote:pujols all the way.

guerrero is probably going to get like 20 steals, I don't see him getting 30.

JB

If you believe Guerrero will steal 20 bags then there is a very good argument for taking him ahead of Pujols. I personally have them very close this season and I don't see more than 10 steals for Vlad this year. Either would make a great 2nd or 3rd pick.

A-Rod remains a clear No.1
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:53 pm

eh, prior's #1, just you wait and see =D
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swarmee » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:38 pm

sinicalypse wrote:remember this man has NEVER had decent protection in a lineup with him (for the love of god chris **** widger was 2nd on the spos in HRs with like 18 in 1998 or 1999, i forget which year)

Mods, please pull this post!
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers