Could Chipper Jones Hit .400? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Could Chipper Jones Hit .400?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Could Chipper Jones Hit .400?

Postby decoy562 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:12 am

He's up to .418 now and just hit his 400th home run, 3rd all time for switch hitters.

Rumor is, he will pitch every 5th day in place of Smoltz.

Go Chipper! ;-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScrappyDoo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 am

I have him in a H2H league with OBP and OPS as extra categories, There are very few guys I would trade him for straight up. He absolutely carries my team in AVG (.418) OBP (.498) and OPS (1.165).

And its not like hes over his head, he's been on this pace for almost a year plus now, injuries are the only thing in his way, and the Braves are being smart and giving him days off to keep him fresh.

Hanley, A-Rod, Chase, Wright, Pujols, Santana, Holliday

He's almost untradeable IMO.

He was the 5th best bat overall last year despite injuries and he's #2 overall this year.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Russell James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:18 am

If he is still batting .400 in August then I will start to pay attention, but I doubt he maintains this. It only takes one bad 7-40 run to drag his average down below .400.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 pm

got Ortiz and Zimmerman for him in a dynasty in which my team stands absolutely no chance this year.

I think both sides were thrilled with the deal.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philomath » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Per CBS Sports...

News: MLB.com reports that Braves 3B Chipper Jones has a slight tear in his right quadriceps and is likely to miss at least two games. Jones suffered the strain in the seventh inning of Saturday night's game against the Phillies at Turner Field. "It's pretty sore this morning," Jones said on Sunday. "We'll see when it gets better."
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Philomath wrote:Per CBS Sports...

News: MLB.com reports that Braves 3B Chipper Jones has a slight tear in his right quadriceps and is likely to miss at least two games. Jones suffered the strain in the seventh inning of Saturday night's game against the Phillies at Turner Field. "It's pretty sore this morning," Jones said on Sunday. "We'll see when it gets better."

Out of the lineup today and an off day Monday. Hopefully Chipper will be back Tuesday after a couple days rest. I keep expecting his BA to drop and it just isn't, plus he's continuing to produce elsewhere. What about those two swiped bags this week, the first of the season? That was completely unexpected.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby zhutou » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm

i remember when both nomar and helton were both sniffing .400 much later than this, i think in like late july a couple of years back. chipper is one of the best hitters when healthy so i can see him come close.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:58 pm

zhutou wrote:i remember when both nomar and helton were both sniffing .400 much later than this, i think in like late july a couple of years back. chipper is one of the best hitters when healthy so i can see him come close.

June 11, 2000 was the latest Helton's ever been over .400, while Nomar was at .403 as late as July 20, 2000, although he was only at .400 or greater for 3 games the entire season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby wake » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:48 am

I would work hard to sell high on Chipper at this point. His legs aren't getting any better and he's having to sit out games more and more frequently as the season goes on. I think it's only a matter of time now before he sees the DL.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:50 am

DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)