Please tell me Ortiz is not going on the DL. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Please tell me Ortiz is not going on the DL.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Please tell me Ortiz is not going on the DL.

Postby gocards » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:10 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:
gocards wrote:I have been a bit out of the baseball loop so far this year, who will be getting Ortiz' AB's while he is out?

Looks like Manny is shifting to DH. Sox ran Ellsbury (lf) and Crisp (cf) into the outfield together Monday. Makes the team better defensively, but it doesn't look like you've got any magical call-up to hang your hat on (Masterson is filling Ortiz's roster spot).

Thats is what I figured would happen, at least for the short-term. Thanks.
gocards
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dweenmachine » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 am

Marino's Isotoners wrote:
Gordon Edes, Globe Staff wrote: Theo Epstein, meeting with reporters, stressed that the ECU tendon in David Ortiz's left wrist is completely intact, and has not been compromised. The partial tear, Epstein stressed, is in the sheath that holds the tendon in place. He likened it to Curt Schilling's ankle injury in 2004, when the sheath holding Schilling's ankle tendon ruptured. In Ortiz's case, it was not a full rupture, Epstein said, but a partial tear.

Because the tendon is intact, Epstein said, doctors are confident that if the wrist is immobilized for two to three weeks, there's a "pretty significant chance" the sheath will heal, which would make surgery unnecessary. The test will come when the cast is removed in two or three weeks. If the wrist is no longer tender and Ortiz is pain free, the tear will have resolved itself and Ortiz will begin activity that will allow him to return to playing status.

Epstein said "no one can fill David Ortiz's shoes" but that the club was satisfied with its internal options. That includes DH-OF Chris Carter, who was purchased from Pawtucket and will be making his major league debut. Carter was batting .310 with 10 HRs and 35 RBIs in 57 games. Carter got the nod over Brandon Moss, Epstein said, because Moss has only been back playing for a couple of weeks from his appendectomy and the club would like him to continue playing first base every day for the PawSox.

Epstein and scouting director Jason McLeod also offered some insights on Thursday's amateur draft. The Globe will have coverage beginning online tomorrow and in Thursday's paper.

Theo: Tendon 'completely intact,' surgery unlikely

Thank goodness it's the sheath and not the actual tendon. I've had a similar injury where the sheath of one of my tendons in my wrist was enflamed... It hurt like a $%&% at first, but was fine about a month or so later. Papi will be back, as long as he keeps it immobilized (hence the cast).

Here's to a speedy recovery ;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:27 pm

during the sox-reds game sat afternoon, remy said he was doubtful Ortiz would be back this year and that he had heard he was still feeling the clicking sound in his wrist... anyone heard any updates on Ortiz, other than him becoming an american citizen?????

he should be getting the first check up on his wrist sooner than later... i think
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BBlinn13 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:35 pm

PavanoAllstars wrote:during the sox-reds game sat afternoon, remy said he was doubtful Ortiz would be back this year and that he had heard he was still feeling the clicking sound in his wrist... anyone heard any updates on Ortiz, other than him becoming an american citizen

doubtful he'd be back this year??
can anyone confirm that and who is "remy" assume its a broadcaster for the sox
[
BBlinn13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:38 pm

PavanoAllstars wrote:during the sox-reds game sat afternoon, remy said he was doubtful Ortiz would be back this year and that he had heard he was still feeling the clicking sound in his wrist... anyone heard any updates on Ortiz, other than him becoming an american citizen?????

he should be getting the first check up on his wrist sooner than later... i think

Isn't he still in a cast? And popping is not always a bad thing for the record - this whole thing kind of sounds like hearsay/wild speculation IMO...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:49 pm

I hope so... It was Remy doing the talking, as in Rem Dog from Nesn, he was announcing on Fox... it probably is speculation... just wondering if anyone had heard anything credible or in concrete. The first thing I thought was "is Rem a doctor?" then Ortiz specifically noted he will be able to bat with clicking, as long as there is not a lot of pain...

Sounds like it's bologne!!!!! (I hope)
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates