Please tell me Ortiz is not going on the DL. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Please tell me Ortiz is not going on the DL.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Please tell me Ortiz is not going on the DL.

Postby shoelessjoetara » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:01 am

Maybe I am just trying to convince myself that Big Papi will be allright, but listening to the interview that Francona had on ESPN, he sounded much more confident that Papi would be OK in time. The news reports sounded like Big Papi would definately be on the 60 day DL. He may still go for 60 days, but Francona made it sound much better than the reports I had been hearing and knowing he is involved with the decisions being made with the slugger make it easier to accept. He should know more than some of these reporters who make things sound so horrible .
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:25 am

gocards wrote:I have been a bit out of the baseball loop so far this year, who will be getting Ortiz' AB's while he is out?

Looks like Manny is shifting to DH. Sox ran Ellsbury (lf) and Crisp (cf) into the outfield together Monday. Makes the team better defensively, but it doesn't look like you've got any magical call-up to hang your hat on (Masterson is filling Ortiz's roster spot).
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 am

Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff wrote:BALTIMORE - The Red Sox will place designated hitter David Ortiz on the 15-day disabled list today with a partially torn sheath surrounding a tendon in his left wrist. Ortiz is expected to miss up to a month, according to a team source.

His wrist will be immobilized in a cast for two weeks, and if it is healed by then, it should take about two weeks for Ortiz to get back into playing shape.

Manager Terry Francona said it is "very unlikely" Ortiz will require surgery.

According to a source familiar with the injury, the main goal is to get Ortiz free of pain after the cast comes off, even if the tendon pops in and out of the sheath. If the sheath isn't healed fully after the cast is taken off, Ortiz could take care of the situation surgically after the season.

The sheath is actually called an extensor carpi ulnaris; the important thing for Ortiz is that the tendon itself is not damaged, just the compartment in which it's housed. This injury is not unlike the one Curt Schilling had in his ankle in 2004.

Addressing the media after last night's 6-3 loss to the Orioles, Francona was not willing to give a timetable on Ortiz's return. He said he wanted to confer with general manager Theo Epstein and hear how Ortiz's rehab will be mapped out.

"We're not going to hit-and-run and make a move," Francona said.

The red-hot Brandon Moss could be called up from Pawtucket, but Francona was talking about the possibility of playing Sean Casey, using Manny Ramírez at DH, and deploying a speedy outfield of Jacoby Ellsbury, Coco Crisp, and J.D. Drew.

Ortiz injured his wrist swinging at a pitch in the ninth inning of Saturday's win over the Orioles. He had to come out of the game with a 3-and-2 count on him.

Francona said he had spoken to Ortiz on the phone the last couple of days and that Ortiz had gone from being worried, to feeling he could still hit with it, to "let's get it checked and be sure."

The Sox' depth is evident when you consider the players who could make their way to Fenway in the coming days and weeks.

Justin Masterson will make his third "emergency" start tonight. Moss is tearing it up in Pawtucket after coming back from his appendectomy; he was named International League Player of the Week after hitting .400 with 4 homers and 9 RBIs, including three homers in one game.

With Ortiz out, Moss could be the guy who comes up and benefits with playing time. In addition, Jeff Bailey has been able to spend a few days with the big league team after his 16-homer, 48-RBI start in Pawtucket. When Lowell and then Alex Cora got hurt, Jed Lowrie also contributed big hits and a nice effort.

The Sox have already had nine players on the DL, missing a total of 167 games. They've been able to absorb those losses to a reasonable degree. Would they be in first place with a healthy lead if everyone had stayed healthy? Perhaps. But in terms of teams that can withstand personnel losses, they have shown that they are among the few that can. Even if it is Ortiz.

Nick Cafardo can be reached at cafardo@globe.com

Ortiz goes on DL
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dweenmachine » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 am

The River wrote:Ortiz is not going on the DL.

Heh...

Anyway, I read in the Herald this morning that Ortiz will be out for a month and possibly even longer (maybe the season). Either way its going to be a while before he's back... :~(
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:35 am

the worst part for me is he'll miss all the Interleague games and not get 1B elegibility for me now (i play in CBS where it's 5 this year or 20 from previous years)

probably will go to UTIL only in Yahoo for next year though i'm guessing
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby rsolsky2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 am

I am torn. Papi is my favorite player but the guy in 1st owns him. I hope my Sox can find a way to win without him but i hope he is out until the ASB. Am i wrong for thinking this?
rsolsky2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:41 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:the worst part for me is he'll miss all the Interleague games and not get 1B elegibility for me now (i play in CBS where it's 5 this year or 20 from previous years)

probably will go to UTIL only in Yahoo for next year though i'm guessing

Good point. I didn't even think about that one.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby dweenmachine » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:15 pm

rsolsky2 wrote:I am torn. Papi is my favorite player but the guy in 1st owns him. I hope my Sox can find a way to win without him but i hope he is out until the ASB. Am i wrong for thinking this?

Yes...
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Wow!! I finally own Oritz, for the first time EVER!! And what happens, he starts the season in his worst slump ever, then he pops his wrist!! Unbelievable!!

He was gonna be one of my keepers next year, but now that he won't retain 1B eligibility, I don't know that I will do that now. This is just not good!! :-t
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:29 pm

I am a huge ortiz fan and also an owner... so this sucks twice over... i'll be pleasantly surprised if he's back before the all star break but even if he is I doubt he'll be the same old papi, maybe never... looking forward to further reports today about his injury and the timeline for recovery
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates