V-Mart a major disappointment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

V-Mart a major disappointment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: V-Mart a major disappointment

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat May 31, 2008 11:47 pm

I traded Gavin Floyd, a waiver wire pickup, for him. ;-D
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:00 am

bleach168 wrote:There are only 3 catchers that are playing at or above expectations and they are McCann, Soto, and Molina. The other 27 MLB catchers stink in one way or another.

How does Martin stink? .326, 4HRs, 26 Runs, 23 RBIs, 4SBs, and .432 OBP don't do it for you?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby northjersey78 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:41 am

bleach168 wrote:There are only 3 catchers that are playing at or above expectations and they are McCann, Soto, and Molina. The other 27 MLB catchers stink in one way or another.

Russell Martin has been solid.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Field » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:
kcs261 wrote:I'm sure most people who drafted thbis guy thought that realstically they had the best fantasy catcher in the game. But no home runs and it is now June? This guy just isn't getting it done.

Major disappointment: Someone who reads these forums drafting a catcher early.

Nothing wrong with picking this guy in say the 3rd round according to pre-season expectations.

Yes there was. He wasn't even a top 50 player in 07 r when he had a monster season (for him). It's not smart to take players in the 3rd round who have absolutely no chance to out-perform their draft position.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:40 am

Field wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:
Nothing wrong with picking this guy in say the 3rd round according to pre-season expectations.

Yes there was. He wasn't even a top 50 player in 07 r when he had a monster season (for him). It's not smart to take players in the 3rd round who have absolutely no chance to out-perform their draft position.

It's not fair to just compare VMart to ALL offensive players. You need to also compare him to other C's. This is where VMart's value largely comes from, and why he was a consensus 3rd round pick this year.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby octagon999 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:26 pm

NWSoxaholic wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:Major disappointment: Someone who reads these forums drafting a catcher early.

Hey, I drafted McCann in the early 60's and I feel pretty good about that decision in all my leagues.

Wow- in the early 60's? The kid is only 24! That's a hell of a Keeper League! You must have been scouting his dad or something...

OMG that was EXACTLY what I was thinking! LMFAO
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:34 pm

V-mart will have his Homeruns, you will just have to wait. like with Prince Fielder. Everything is normal except his homeruns, be patient.
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Matthias wrote:

How does Martin stink? .326, 4HRs, 26 Runs, 23 RBIs, 4SBs, and .432 OBP don't do it for you?

Actually, no, it doesn't do it for me. People were drafting him expecting close to 20/20 but Martin is on pace for 12/12. You could argue that he's still been worth it so far, but I see a BABIP 47 pts higher than last year so he's someone I would rather not have right now. He is doing way better than VMart though.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Matthias » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Matthias wrote:

Actually, no, it doesn't do it for me. People were drafting him expecting close to 20/20 but Martin is on pace for 12/12. You could argue that he's still been worth it so far, but I see a BABIP 47 pts higher than last year so he's someone I would rather not have right now. He is doing way better than VMart though.

His extra 30 pts in AVG and almost 70 pts in OBP (our league counts both) compensate for 3 fewer HRs and 3 fewer SBs than he would have if he was on last year's pace. You can quibble over a few extra taters if you like but saying he is one of the 27 MLB catchers who "stink" is still wrong.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:05 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Matthias wrote:

I gotta agree here about Martin. While he is outplaying Vmart by a mile he is still not living up to his draft position, however there is still a lot of ball to be played.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers