Cornbread's Cafe Challenge Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Cornbread's Cafe Challenge Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cornbread's Cafe Challenge Team

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:20 pm

Would really appreciate it if you guys could pick apart this team and give me some constructive criticism.

C - Piazza
1B - Palmeiro
2b - Hairston Jr
3b - D. Young
SS - Tejada
OF - B. Abreu
OF - G. Anderson
OF - A. Sanchez
UT - L. Gonzalez
UT - J. Gonzalez
B - M. Byrd
B - B. Roberts
B - Erstad

SP - Pedro
SP - Beckett
SP - Maddux
SP - Padilla
SP - W. Williams
SP - D. Wells
RP - Percival
RP - Riske
RP - Donnelly
RP - DeJean

I know I need closers. I have plenty of wiggle room on my B - meaning I have 3-4 guys that I dont mind dropping for sleeper closers. I know that may sound insignificant, but if your bench is so good you are afraid to drop someone, it could ultimately hurt you by missing out on the free agent gold.

Regardless - what do you guys think?

BTW - The Cafe Challenge League is a pretty competitive 12 team standard roto league.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:32 pm

Hitting isn't bad. You've got some good speedsters to offset the power guys. Very nice OF if Sanchez continues to run. 5 100-RBI guys isn't too bad either. Very well rounded offense, although it could be stronger. You need some more guys who hit .300 and some more guys who get 80-90 runs. Also, you have both Baltimore 2B's in Hairston and Roberts.

SP very well rounded. Pedro and Beckett should keep you in the top of K's for a while, and I see Maddux returning to form. Padilla and Williams should help out, although Wells doesn't look like a good pick to me. If Martinez and Beckett each pitch 200 innings this year, it'll be hard not to win K's.

RP Is a wildcard. You've only got one true closer (Percival), and then a bunch of substitute teachers, so to speak. Riske is just what his name implies- Risky.

Like you said, I would attempt to trade some of that bench of yours and maybe some SP for a closer.

Hope you win! Actually, hope you get second place while I run away with the #1 spot... :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Sorry Corn but I think that you have one of the weaker teams (right now) in that league.

Besides the lack of saves your infield needs a lot of work. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are all weak and, while you have big names in the outfield, I think that they are all overrated and will not perform at a level to justify their draft position IMO.

You have to hope for a big year from Juan Go and ride your SPs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:00 pm

I appreciate the responses guys.

I like my infield alot more than most probably. I probably jumped a bit for Tejada in the 2nd, but then again, all of the top 5 SSs were taken by the time it was my turn again in the 3rd. Also, I am 90% positive Tejada will improve upon last years numbers.

In the 3rd, I probably jumped again, but this time for Piazza. Again, I am very positive on Piazza this yr, and as long as he remains healthy, he should be a major advantage from my C spot.

My next IF wasnt drafted till the 9th rd when I got DY. Im sure you already know how I feel about him - basically hit 80, 30, 85, .300 last yr with no protection. And that from the 10th 3B taken. Hows that for value?

Next was Palmeiro - in the 10th rd - 14th 1b taken. To me, thats value. Now I know his major drawback is age and his dropping BA, but I feel a change of scenery and the good protection he has (not knocking what he had in TEX, just that its very good in BAL too) will allow him to improve upon his worst BA since '97.

2b is my little secret weapon. I know I drafted both BAL 2b - that was intentional. IMO, there is a very little chance they will hold onto both of them and platoon them at 2b. One will get traded - most likely to a condender with a 2b issue - rumors still say maybe NY. The other will bat in front of Tejada, Palmeiro, and Javy. Both are speed machines that wont hurt your BA too much. Waiting as long as I did to get them (15th and 20th rds) - I think provided me with incredible value for the price.

As for the Gonzalez guys, Mookie, would you feel better about them if I told you I got Juan in the 12th, and Luis in the 13th? Please dont say that isnt value.

Basically, I was trying to draft for value. I was able to go after a couple extra OF and SPs by delaying some of those positions I talked about above.

If anyone else would like to give me ideas, or rate this team, I would be grateful.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team