Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal?

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm

woodson_28 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:He's now gotten through 12 starts without getting rocked.

Just you wait, I see him getting rocked sometime between his 13th game and retirement.

Yeah, he'll get rocked ... to sleep by all the hitters that can't make contact on his changeup. :-b
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:39 pm

The kid has certainly been amazing so far this year for sure.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 pm

GOGOGADGETFLOW wrote:He is the new Pedro Martinez

An interesting comparable, b/c Volquez does have very similar stuff to Pedro circa 97-2000. Pedro was obviously better, he had superb control (not Maddux-like, but pretty damn close) so he combined pinpoint accuracy with unhittable stuff.

Nonetheless, Voltron is definitely No. 1 or 2 in the Cy Young race right now. It's basically a two-horse race b/w him and Brandon Webb, and I own 1 in each league so I'm pumped!

Like I said in an earlier post, sell high if you're getting someone who was drafted in the top 4-5 rounds who you really liked but couldn't pick up. But if you are "selling high" to get an 8th round pick just b/c you got Volquez in the 18-20 range or as a free agent, I think that's pretty stupid.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:49 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:

An interesting comparable, b/c Volquez does have very similar stuff to Pedro circa 97-2000. Pedro was obviously better, he had superb control (not Maddux-like, but pretty damn close) so he combined pinpoint accuracy with unhittable stuff.

Nonetheless, Voltron is definitely No. 1 or 2 in the Cy Young race right now. It's basically a two-horse race b/w him and Brandon Webb, and I own 1 in each league so I'm pumped!

Like I said in an earlier post, sell high if you're getting someone who was drafted in the top 4-5 rounds who you really liked but couldn't pick up. But if you are "selling high" to get an 8th round pick just b/c you got Volquez in the 18-20 range or as a free agent, I think that's pretty stupid.

No one will ever be Pedro again. Maybe we'll see someone in the next 50 years but his 4 year stretch was probably the best in history next to Koulfax.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:

No one will ever be Pedro again. Maybe we'll see someone in the next 50 years but his 4 year stretch was probably the best in history next to Koulfax.

What about Randy Johnson? D-Backs 99-02 was ridiculous, especially the Ks. Maybe some of the ratios weren't there but I'd still argue he was comparable to Pedro, especially fantasy-wise.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:What about Randy Johnson? D-Backs 99-02 was ridiculous, especially the Ks. Maybe some of the ratios weren't there but I'd still argue he was comparable to Pedro, especially fantasy-wise.

RJ was very close but Pedro was still better.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Red5 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 pm

What would be a fair to offer with Volquez for Brandon Phillips? I'd need to give Volquez, Theriot, and one other piece from the team below. Is Hunter too much? Nathan? Soria?

League 2: 12 Team Mixed 5x5 Roto
C - Hernandez, 1B - Morneau, 2B - Theriot, SS - Tejada, 3B - Lowell, OF - C Gomez, Ichiro, Hunter, DH - Bradley
P - Volquez, Sheets, Maine, Wainwright, Nathan, Soria, Lyon
Bench - Napoli, A Hill, Holliday, Ortiz, C Young, Cain, Duchscherer, Torres
Red5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby gatorgreenwell » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:37 am

J.R. Richard. '76 thru '79
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:39 am

gatorgreenwell wrote:J.R. Richard. '76 thru '79

Well, besides the fact that he was well before Pedro, his ERA averaged like high 2's then. Pedro had a sub 2 era season, and the rest low 2 era's during his awesome strech. Not even comparable.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08 am

i was at the game tonight and no phil put any kind of solid contact on his pitches sans a ryan howard single. everyone was off balance and mostly missing. it wasnt too pretty.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers