Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal?

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 4:26 pm

Is he the real deal? His stuff is ridiculous and hes been doing so well. Though his achilles heel is that control problems flare up frequently. Will he be as good as he is at the moment? Or will he come down to Earth?

Should you sell high on this stud or is there no high for this phenom?

Discuss.
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Edinson Volquez: Real or Deal?

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:35 pm

I believe he is real to an extent... I see Volquez hitting a wall at some point in the season, but the question is if he can withstand his troubles. When it's all said and done I would'nt be surprised to see him win 16 with an era in the mid threes.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 4:43 pm

If he would have an era in the mid 3's then he would have to have an era of around 4.20 the rest of the way.
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Postby siQ_innovation » Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

I see this kid being the real deal because of some points I noticed when looking at his numbers this season: The kid rarely gives up more hits than innings pitched, and in most cases barely gives up any, the only reason his WHIP is around 1.22 is his tendency to give up BB's. But obviously his control isn't bad because he's fanned 83 dudes in 68 innings. Also, he's never given up more than 2 ER this whole season in a single game. He's only given up 3 HR this whole season (just had to throw that out). He's still young and batters are eventually going to figure out what he does and react to that, but I feel he'll be good enough to change it up and getting them confused again. This kid has the makings of the staff ace in Cincy.

Real deal.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 5:08 pm

siQ_innovation wrote:I see this kid being the real deal because of some points I noticed when looking at his numbers this season: The kid rarely gives up more hits than innings pitched, and in most cases barely gives up any, the only reason his WHIP is around 1.22 is his tendency to give up BB's. But obviously his control isn't bad because he's fanned 83 dudes in 68 innings. Also, he's never given up more than 2 ER this whole season in a single game. He's only given up 3 HR this whole season (just had to throw that out). He's still young and batters are eventually going to figure out what he does and react to that, but I feel he'll be good enough to change it up and getting them confused again. This kid has the makings of the staff ace in Cincy.

Real deal.

Would that be luck? Because i've watched him. Like yesterday he walked the first and 2nd batters of the inning in 8 pitches but got away with it not giving up a run.
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Sat May 31, 2008 5:36 pm

Wait until the AS Break. In H2H, you definitely want to move him before the playoffs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby horste » Sat May 31, 2008 6:01 pm

I dealt him in a one year roto for Prince Fielder, but I packaged him with Kouzmanoff. Either way I see the BB to come back and nip him in the butt soon but that was 2 starts ago, and I am feeling I should have held on. However, he is mating Lincecum this year but they both are helped by decent BBIAP's. Anyway, wait a bout 2 more starts and deal him when he is highest (which could be right now after his last start too).
horste
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 8:40 pm

He is wild but he is SOOOO GOOOD that you can't pass him up. In my league nobody buys the Edinson Volquez is a great pitcher act so its hard to trade him away
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dorje3 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:02 pm

GOGOGADGETFLOW wrote:
siQ_innovation wrote:I see this kid being the real deal because of some points I noticed when looking at his numbers this season: The kid rarely gives up more hits than innings pitched, and in most cases barely gives up any, the only reason his WHIP is around 1.22 is his tendency to give up BB's. But obviously his control isn't bad because he's fanned 83 dudes in 68 innings. Also, he's never given up more than 2 ER this whole season in a single game. He's only given up 3 HR this whole season (just had to throw that out). He's still young and batters are eventually going to figure out what he does and react to that, but I feel he'll be good enough to change it up and getting them confused again. This kid has the makings of the staff ace in Cincy.

Real deal.

Would that be luck? Because i've watched him. Like yesterday he walked the first and 2nd batters of the inning in 8 pitches but got away with it not giving up a run.

He sports a BABIP close to .300, which is to say that he hasn't had ALL the luck in the world. Not a huge indicator, but I would be a little more worried if it were around .220. On that note, Tim Lincecum has been very unlucky (.330 BABIP).
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for the info.
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Next