No. 1 pick in a 12 team league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No. 1 pick in a 12 team league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No. 1 pick in a 12 team league

Postby LeftyQB » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:37 pm

I've got #1 in a 12 team Yahoo Keeper league, using standard Yahoo point system. While A-Rod appears to be a clear #1 in most drafts I've seen, I can't help considering Soriano and Pulhos due to their potential for keepers. Any suggestions. I really didn't want #1 because of the long wait between picks.
LeftyQB
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Moneyball_fbc » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:44 pm

So trade the pick and move down. Arod is still young and age isnt that much of a concern with those 3. Dont forget Arod can also act as ur 3rd basemen which isnt as deep as a outfielders.
Moneyball_fbc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jebatzel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:50 pm

don't think yahoo can let you trade picks

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

#1 pick

Postby TG » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:54 pm

JB is right... Yahoo will not let you change your draft selection. What you COULD do is draft a guy someone else wants and do a trade that way after the draft.

As for the #1 pick, you cant go wrong with AROD, Pujols or Soriano. I'll be interested to see where Soriano hits in the Rangers lineup. AROD fans should keep in mind he wont be eligible for 3B until he has played 20 games there.

Personally, I would take Pujols if I had the #1 pick based on his eligibility at 1B and OF, though those are probably the two deepest positions in fantasy baseball, whereas SS isnt nearly as deep.

TG
TG

Friendliness: %

Re: #1 pick

Postby DK » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:01 pm

TG wrote:JB is right... Yahoo will not let you change your draft selection. What you COULD do is draft a guy someone else wants and do a trade that way after the draft.

As for the #1 pick, you cant go wrong with AROD, Pujols or Soriano. I'll be interested to see where Soriano hits in the Rangers lineup. AROD fans should keep in mind he wont be eligible for 3B until he has played 20 games there.

Personally, I would take Pujols if I had the #1 pick based on his eligibility at 1B and OF, though those are probably the two deepest positions in fantasy baseball, whereas SS isnt nearly as deep.

TG

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe it's 15 games.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jebatzel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:04 pm

it was 15 last year

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ccjj17 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Have you considered drafting Arod and trying to trade him after the draft? You could probably get Garciappara and a good pitcher or something else that would benefit you. Everybody wants Arod and most people will probably give you what you want for him within reason.
ccjj17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pilambp » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:29 pm

I think the answer is A-Rod, hands down. Soriano put up great numbers the last two years, and 2B is a thin position, but remember, he's 28 now and not hitting in quite the potent lineup. He should jack a few more homeruns in that bandbox, but he'll also get pitched around.
Pujols is great too, but his position eligibility limits his value. A-Rod plays a thin position, and has proven that 50 HR, 10 SB, .310 AVG Seasons are the norm for him.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby me » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:34 pm

is SS that thin anymore?
there are a lot of good 2nd tier SS's i wouldnt mind having on my squad...i think 2b is the thinnest position in the game
me

Friendliness: %

Postby LeftyQB » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My initial thought was to just grab A-Rod. We actually do an off line draft, so we can trade picks. I was offered the number 12 pick for my number 1...don't know if I want to go there, but I would probably get two A players at 12, verses an A+ player at #1 and then probably two B+ players at 24 & 25. While 2nd base is thin I'm nervous about Soriano's habit of free swinging and the Texas lineup is no where near as strong as the Yankees...although Arlington is a hitters park.
I also like the idea of Pujols being elibible at 1st and OF...but A-Rod at SS ans 3B is a bit more appealing. I think I'll go with A-Rod and see how the rest of my roster pans out...maybe I would get a good offer after the draft.
Thanks again everyone!
LeftyQB
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers