When negotiating a trade **EDIT** AND THE TRADE WAS... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When negotiating a trade **EDIT** AND THE TRADE WAS...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When negotiating a trade

Postby JMB05 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:36 pm

Man people are sensitive. Pull your offer. Who cares. My money league is the hardest league to trade in I have ever seen. There have been 4 trades total in the four years I have been in it. I was involved in each one. Owners are always trying to maximize there trade value, including tactics that might seem underhanded. But you have to get over it.
The key is honing in in a player that will improve your team for a player(s) your willing to give up, that's it. If someone offered more for the player you wanted then YOU didn't offer enough. It was wise for this owner to try this. He isn't trying to make friends he is try to win.

Forget the politics behind the trade and concentrate on making your team better ;-D
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:16 am

PULL the deal. I definitley wouldn't give up more. If someone else offers him a better deal, then more power to him. Don't let this guy use you for leverage!!

This happened to me once so far this year. Guy called me and asked if I wanted Halladay. We negotiated and he said he'd take Cueto and Borowski/ Betancourt for Halladay and 2 throw ins of his choice. I sent the offer, and he rejected it the next day, and sent me an offer also asking for my Adam Dunn for his E Byrnes. I declined, and 2 minutes later he accepted another offer from a 3rd owner!! I was IRATE, and will not deal with this owner again, unless of course I really need/want something he has!!

When I get an offer, I tend to "see what else I can get" for the player in the offer. Nothing wrong with that. I don't however say "I'll do the trade", then announce to others that so and so is availble. That's busch league!! :-t If I like an offer I will usually say I'll think about it, and then do what I need to do. But verbally agreeing to it, then trying to trade with another owner is BS!! I wouldn't do it. Which is why I almost NEVER verbally agree to a trade.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby rib217 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice, i went ahead and sent an email to the manager letting him know that i still wanted the deal but wasnt a fan of how he was using my deal as leverage for the rest of the league, i let him know that the deal was still on the table but wouldnt be for too long. He accepted the deal late the next day after reply back saying he was just trying to get the best deal he could.

FYI: Here is the deal, it was accepted, I hope it works in my favor

I gave: Aram and Markakis
I got: Arod and Percival

My league counts K's which Markakis is killing me in and i've got Holliday, McLouth, Kemp, J. Upton, and now J. Bruce to fill my OF spots so losing Markakis doesnt kill me. What do you all think of the deal?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Re: When negotiating a trade **EDIT** AND THE TRADE WAS...

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Nice deal. I can now see why you were anxious about it. Even though Troy is hurt, A-rod alone is worth those two players.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers