When negotiating a trade **EDIT** AND THE TRADE WAS... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When negotiating a trade **EDIT** AND THE TRADE WAS...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When negotiating a trade **EDIT** AND THE TRADE WAS...

Postby rib217 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Just thought i would get some of your opinions and strategies for negotiating trades.

My situation is that i proposed a pretty solid deal to a manger, he wants to do the deal but decided first to make a post stating that the player i was going for was on the market he had a good deal but would give it a day to see if anyone else could do better.

What would be your next move? just wait it out and hope that he sticks with my offer? would you try and up the ante a little bit? Just wondering what some of your thoughts or methods would be

**EDIT**

I didnt want the post to be about my trade in specific so i held back on listing my trade, i also didnt want it to be considered a trade, draft, keeper question but rather a discussion. That being said, thank you for all the advice, the trade was accepted. Here it is:

I gave: Aram and Markakis
I got: Arod and Percival

My other outfielders are Holliday, McLouth, Kemp, J. Upton, and J. Bruce
Last edited by rib217 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When negotiating a trade

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 pm

What he did is smart IMO. You just have to wait and hope no one else sends him a better deal.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Fri May 30, 2008 4:43 pm

You can either wait it out or put a message of your own up and try to rattle his cage some.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rib217 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:44 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:What he did is smart IMO. You just have to wait and hope no one else sends him a better deal.

I agree with it being a smart move

curious if there is anything to do other than wait it out
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Yoda » Fri May 30, 2008 4:55 pm

rib217 wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:What he did is smart IMO. You just have to wait and hope no one else sends him a better deal.

You can give him a deadline but you might lose the deal. Personally, I like to be in control of deals so if someone did that, I'd probably pull the deal from him unless I was getting a really sweet deal.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markj11 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Do the same thing. Post that the guy you are trading is available if someone wants give you an offer.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Fri May 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
rib217 wrote:

You can give him a deadline but you might lose the deal. Personally, I like to be in control of deals so if someone did that, I'd probably pull the deal from him unless I was getting a really sweet deal.

Me too. If someone pulled that I would send him a message saying something like:

I do not appreciate your recent tactics trying to leverage our deal for a better one. If the trade is not accepted within the next hour, I will remove the proposal and try with other, more interested, parties.

Regards,
Field
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rainman23 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:37 pm

If it wasn't a particularly great deal for me I'd probably pull it off the table. Tell the guy I may still be interested...he can propose it himself when he's done playing the field. Maybe I'll accept, if I haven't found something I like better. The guy's gotta know he's got something to lose with this approach. A bird in the hand...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 6:18 pm

smart on his part, but lame in general. i've had a somewhat similar problem in that there were a couple of guys in my regular league that would agree to a trade with me, so i'd send the proposal and they would let it sit for a few days before finally saying that they had second thoughts. this happened so many times with these managers that now when i discuss trades with anyone, i always have the other party send me the proposal so that i can just hit accept and be done with it. maybe try that next time.

edit: i also agree with the poster who said you should yank the trade if it is not too sweet for you. just mess with him in return.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:00 pm

fbc_fan wrote:smart on his part, but lame in general. i've had a somewhat similar problem in that there were a couple of guys in my regular league that would agree to a trade with me, so i'd send the proposal and they would let it sit for a few days before finally saying that they had second thoughts.

I agree that this tactic is total BS. but it sounds like the owner in this case didn't agree to the trade. If he "agreed" and then made the post, I'd definitely pull my offer back. If he simply said, "yeah, sounds like a good deal, but..." then there isn't much to do.

I'd leave the deal out there if you're OK with it. Don't up it unless he comes back to you.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers